16- shifters

This an AU where every person can turn into an animal, but only one and whatever they turn into, is what best represents them. I will be using our animals: whale, snake, wolf, tiger, and not the show animals, because honestly, it's hard finding anything on the animals. 

Zuko's POV

I watch in envy as the group rest together in their animal forms. This is something most people only do with the people/person they feel,safest with. No one's ever done that with me, besides mother and uncle. Hell, they're the only ones who even know what animal I am. Ozai and Azula never cared, thinking and believing I was weaker then them from the start.Ozai saw me transform the first time and told Azula, and neither ever accepted me after that. I haven't shifted in a while, however, and I need to do it soon, I'm getting uncomfortable. I shift my shoulders, and try to ignore the tightness. I shiver as my animal claws around, moving and pacing, trying to get out.

"I know, just let me get to my room, then I'll let you out for a short time, ok? You can't stay out too long or they'll kill me."

It calms, but as I walk it hisses at me, showing it's displeasure at being forced to hide. I know how it feels, we're part of the same person, but I can't show him. He won't be accepted and I rather like him, so I hide him to keep him. Selfish, but I like having his company.

His pacing picks back up, and I sigh as I open my door, before shifting immediately. I sigh as I settle onto my four paws, sweeping my tail side to side. I yawn and ignore the urge to howl. I had always been this way, and it was shameful to be like this. Or at least, that's what father used to tell me. I no longer believe him and so, I know I should show myself, or tell the others what I am, but I just can't bring myself to. I fear that I will be rejected, since I already have been,  many times. Uncle and mom were the only ones to accept me, uncle even encouraging me to run about the ship when I got restless. 

I sigh and carefully lock the wolf back up, wincing as I stand, trying to get use to the difference in feeling, scents, sight and hearing again. Sensitive body... I moan and lie down, something telling me that I will not like what's going to happen tomorrow.

I moan and mumble as the sun rises, but get up. I stretch and yawn, before grabbing my swords, and throwing everything I own into the bag, arranging the frames carefully. My gut says we'll end up leaving, and this seems like a good time to pack. I almost whimper when I walk out into the main room and spot Katara, glaring and mixing, but I manage not too. She's the pack female alpha and Aang, the alpha, Sokka  the second in command and Toph the Beta. I am currently in the position of omega, trying to make my way into the pack, but with them still having the opportunity to kick me out. 

I set my bag aside and eat a small meal, before setting my bowl aside and going off the meditate, the feeling in my stomach growing as the time for Aang's training begins. I start us off with some basic forms, before moving us on into more complicated ones. He asks me to start attacking him, and I go ahead, holding back a little. We continue to spar, fire flicking at walls and the ground. Just as I go to stop the match and relieve him, some fire slips past his defense and burns his mouth, a small cry escaping, before it dies out, pain preventing him from doing anything. I race forward, worried,but before I reach him, water and... stone, push and block me from helping. I duck under the boomerang, and skip back a step, watching the group and aware I've made some kind of mistake. I know what's going to happen and can't help how my heart slows down in response.

"How dare you. We warned you what would happen if you hurt him. Leave. Never come back. The next time I see your face, I want to be able to whip you into oblivion. Run!"

I turn and grab my bag, lowering my head as I race from the clearing, crashing through branches and bushes. I hate how easily they were turned against me, but I know Aang had the fire in his control and I wasn't aiming for his face, so that means... I halt and turn around, before racing back. That means another firebender was there and the only one I can think of is... Azula. As I race back, I can hear explosions and fighting, but as I throw my bag to the side by the bison, where he starts to put it on his back, I hear something that I hoped to never hear.