21-sleep deprived

Zuko's POV

I yawn and stretch, rubbing a hand tiredly over my eyes, trying to get the grit out, even if I didn't get any sleep. Something kept me up... probably the fear and worry of nightmares, but also all the possibilities of emotion to show, around these people who encourage. I wonder how much longer I can go without sleep, before I just... collapse? Well, crap. I might have to take a nap somewhere, because I can risk collapsing anywhere here, no one but Toph would even bother to try and find me, and it's too risky, with the possibility of my collapsing being during a fight. I think I'll nap on Appa, his presence and fur always give me something to ground myself on when I do have nightmares, or at least I hope they will, since it'll be like having a giant stuffed animal. 

I leave my room, heading straight for the courtyard, aware the rest of the group sleeps there, meaning Appa will be close to there as well. I try not to look like I'm in a hurry, that'll get more looks, but I really want some sleep, and the fact that I'm tripping over my feet isn't helping. Stupid body, relying on sleep to let it recharge, so I have to get to sleep soon, or else something bad will happen. I exit the hallway, and look around, spotting the tower of white fur called Appa in seconds,and heading right for him. I can see from the corner of my eye that no ones awake, besides maybe Toph, and probably Aang. Oh, well, they can see me like this, even if just for a moment. 

Appa opens one eye as I get closer, but only moves enough that one of his legs is uncovered. I smile weakly, and settle down on it, sighing in relief when the foreboding feeling I had, the little wiggling feeling bearing bad news, nightmares and guilt and the like, becomes so small, I know I'll be able to sleep, at least for a short while. Unless some idiot decides to wake me up, or bother Appa before that. I drift into dark, knowing this is the best I'm going to get, no dreams, but no nightmares either. 

I jerk awake when something jabs me in the side, sluggishly reaching for my swords, only to remember I left them in my room, and to spark a fire in my hand. I blink and clear my eyesight, only to find Sokka, holding Aang's staff, prepared to poke me again. I sigh and lie back down, looking at the ceiling above.

"Whaaaaaaat?"

He doesn't hear or care about the whine in my voice, and instead sets the staff aside before walking off. I blink, ok, was he pulling a prank, before turning on my side and preparing to drift right back into sleep... only to get whacked in the back of the head with the staff. I grunt and pull my hand to my head immediately, before glaring with one eye at the offender, who looks to be Katara. Of course, should've figured. I sigh at her glare and pull myself up, reaching out to gently pat Appa in appreciation, only for a small sliver of water, no thicker than the pinkie finger, but definitely longer, to shove itself through my palm. I wince and pull my hand to myself, before giving up, simply letting Appa know with body Language and my eyes how grateful I am.

Katara doesn't even turn around and she marches off, leaving me with ice through my hand and nothing to wrap or disinfect it with. Lovely. I know she hates me, but imparring Aang's learning isn't going to help her any, I know. Oh, well. I head for my room, aware I eat at different times for different reasons. My hand sends a fierce pain up my arm, but I ignore it for the moment, focused on getting over this section of the hallway, made for airbenders to bend or glide over, something. I jump the distance, having calculated where to land to not die, or injure myself further. The rocks under my feet shift, but I manage to stay up and soon, I'm in the room dubbed mine, surrounded by absolute silence. Not even the wind blows over here, and I feel loneliness slip into my cracks and wrap around me, reminding me why I don't have friends. 

I shake those thoughts, using the pain as an unhealthy mechanism to bring me back, before softly melting the ice out of my hand, where I then gently heat the edges, to burn away any possible infection chances, from the water or the air, before wrapping the hand. I yawn yet again, but I can't bring myself to lie down, not knowing that Aang has a lesson soon, and I have to teach it. I just won't use bending today, my lack of sleep might cause it to go out of control.