20-polyamorous

I'm being bad. I promised myself I wouldn't  the do anything with more than friendship, and I am. This is going to be Katara x Aang x Sokka x Toph, and Zuko loves all of them and is trying to get in. But, can he?

Zuko's POV

I watch as they snuggle and giggle with each other, pointing out constellations, with Toph simply pointing in random areas of the sky and giving them names. I would give anything to be over there, talking, laughing and cuddling, but I am not welcome, and probably never will be. Not with how untrustworthy and cruel I've shown myself to be, in the months chasing them. I sigh and turn around, heading back to the small fire I made a good 20 feet away. I settle down and stare at the fire, before breathing in and letting it grow, letting it out and lowering it. I close my eyes and continue, glad to have something else to focus on. My heart aches and lurches in my chest, demanding I confess and everything will be ok, but this isn't some fairy tale. This is real life, in the middle of a war, and I have not been deemed worthy for even a second glance, so I ignore my heart, however much I wish to listen to it. With a groan, I lie on my side and rest my head in an arm, the other holding the handle of my swords. Hopefully, sleeping will give me a reprieve. Hopefully.

Toph's pov

I can feel his heartbeat and his focus. Softer and more steady when he's focused on one of us, stronger and less steady when he's not watching us and faint when he's ignoring it, trying to let us be happy, without him. I nudge Sokka, who turns from Katara and nods. We all get up, and I smile, because I'm pretty sure Zuko will wake up one of these times. One of them... maybe. I hope he does, cause I really want him to join us. He'd be the perfect heater. His heart is kind and doesn't lie, telling me how much he really wishes to be with us, but he deemed himself unworthy and hasn't let us get our second glance. Sokka carefully sets a blanket over Zuko, while I bend the ground under him smoother, Aang rearranges his limbs and Katara runs her fingers through his hair. Maybe we can convince them that he's a great partner after all. The way they act, I think Sokka's already on our side and is just trying to get Katara to understand why we like him.Soon enough, we've got him set up and hopefully, he'll get more than his measly four hours of sleep. I grin and make my tent as quietly as possible, before getting comfortable and sleeping.

Aang's pov (next morning)

His movements are so graceful, and smooth, and he's confident, the fire moving to his will. It's amazing and I love that, the fire no longer intent on burning us is our strongest watchdog, our strongest defense and offense, maybe bested by me, and only because I have a wider option. I hate how Katara and Sokka don't believe Toph and I, especially when we say he'd make a great addition, adding something they don't even know they want, but we're working on it. Slowly, but surely. 

"Ok, now try and copy that. Be carefully, it is an advanced move."

I nod and carefully go through the motions, pausing and letting him change my stance when it feels wrong. He's always so gentle, never yelling or arguing with me, despite how he acts normally, and it's rather nice. Wonder if there's any way to show Katara and Sokka this side of him, the one that isn't hidden behind a mask of anger. He nods and I smile, getting a grin back from him, before I try it with fire. The last shot is a little far, and it's heading towards Katara and Sokka, who are too busy talking with each other to actually dodge it. I open my mouth to shout a warning, but a red blur darts past me.

Katara pov 

"... do they really think he'd be that great? I mean, he's nothing special."

"Well, I don't  know, he does move pretty gracefully, and his face is amazing. His words are always polite though, and that rubs me the wrong way, because polite is Zuko never. Unless necessary. "