14- helping

Small little things of Zuko helping/saving the others and then them helping with his health.

Zuko's POV the entire time, the name of the other character indicates the person he is saving/helping.

Toph

I wince as I see Toph settle into the floor of the air temple, guilt swelling in my chest as I watch Sokka set her down and her resist using her feet to create an earth tent. I wish I could take back what I did, but I honestly can't and I don't know what to do to make it better. Maybe If I apologize and offer to do something for her, she'll accept and maybe become my first sorta friend here? Or sorta friend in general? I nod and decide that's what I'll do in the morning. I settle on the ground a good 20 feet away from the group, who have settled around the fountain. I know I'm not allowed and if I do come near them they'll take action, but none of us sleep in our rooms. For me, it's because I'm used to sleeping with uncle's snoring nearby, like in the same room or echoing down the hall or from the next room over. I can't handle the silence and let the sound of their breathing send me to sleep, most nights, though some I end up taking watch because uncle's snoring is the only thing that would ever really make me feel safe, at least until I get some friends here. 

I sigh as I slip into sleep almost immediately, but only nightmare's haunt me and I soon wake as the sun rises, feeling more tired than when I went to sleep. I yawn and rise, stretching,silently trying not to touch or move the earth much, because it wakes Toph. I know none of the others will be up for hours, and so I walk carefully up to the top of the temple, the flat cliff above, to be honest, setting my swords to the side, before settling in for meditation. I breath in and out with the flame inside me, letting the sun's energy fill me as it rises. When I feel an hour has passed, I stand up and grab my swords, before starting to train with them. I get my firebending training with Aang, so I never do it before hand. I sigh as I realize it's about 3 hours since I got up here and the others are probably starting to wake, or at least waking up a little. They're probably lying in there sleeping bags talking to each other, like uncle used to do when he thought I was asleep, because he thought I would never indulge him, but I really wanted to talk to him too, be honest with him as he was with me, but I knew the change would be too drastic for him, so I let him think I was asleep. I shake my head, getting rid of my current thoughts, before trying to figure out how to apologize to Toph. I could do it outright, or I could do it subtly.... so many ways. But, which way would Toph appreciate the best? (A/n this makes me feel like I'm watching a kids Tv show. Which word is sleep? It has two e's in it. How should we get past this really obvious obstacle? With a just as obvious answer!) I groan, before deciding I will just go ahead and be outright. Why not? 

I hurry down to where Toph is, and ignore the others, before crouching in front of her. 

"So... I just... um... wanted to... say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to burn you, and I know your feet probably hurt and if you want me to do something for you, don't be afraid to ask, I'll gladly do it, but... uhh.... I have some burn salve in my bag, and I wouldn't mind giving it to you, so you can use it on your feet. And I can make more, so you're feet won't hurt too bad. They might even heal faster and-"

"Wait, really? I accept the apology, though it's more my fault, but I might heal faster with this salve?"

"Yeah? I mean, it's just a theory, but the salve is made to heal burns and combined with water tribe healing talent, it might heal you faster. Would you-"

"Go get it! Sugar Queen, get your butt over here, Sunshine might have a way to heal me faster."

I hurry to my room, before diving for my bag and searching through it, where where where? Ahh... there it is! I yank the salve container out and quickly jog back towards where Toph is, settling beside her and pushing it into her hand. I ignore Katara's glare aimed at me, instead focusing on the little girl in front of me, who seems determined to get healed faster.