31 - tears

This will be 3rd pov, and for the person who requested it, Shadow930, I hope it's up to standards.

3rd pov

It wasn't something that happened often, but even when Zuko had been on the ship with Uncle, there had been times when he'd had to stomp to his quarters under the guise of anger, only to bury his face in his pillow and cry as silently as he could, since obviously he was the angry teenage Captain that no one wanted to be with, and so he deserved every sharp insult and chafe against him.

However, with everything that had happened the last few months, it had been a while since Zuko had not only taken an insult, but since he'd had an emotional release of any kind. He and Sokka had returned from the Boiling rock, with Chit Sang, Hakoda - who insisted on his name, and not chief, or any other form of respect -and Suki, Sokka's girlfriend. We were gathered round the fire, with the three boys who liked to explore long in bed. They liked their rest, since they could have more energy to explore the temple and surrounding area with the next day.

Sokka and Hakoda were weaving the tale of their escape, and even the people who'd been there found themselves drawn in. Hakoda turns from the story, where they are talking about the escape on the gondola, and watches Zuko. Something about the boy had been bothering him. He wasn't sure what, and it was unease, not distrust that was driving this.

"...She saved us. We wouldn't have survived without her intervention. Either of them, really. Azula didn't really look happy, however."

"Prince Zuko, I must say your fighting skills and even more so, the trust you put in Suki, were most admirable. Who taught you?"

"It's kinda a mix. Mostly it was my Uncle though it was originally the instructors in the palace and my father occasionally. Uncle's style, incorporates all the bending types, however, so I'm not really sure what you're seeing when I bend."

"I'm seeing someone strong, and fierce, but you were also determined. The trust you placed in Suki was noble, and more so in her enemy. You are a very kind person. Who taught you that?"

The question was quiet and gentle, the others around the fire holding their breath, waiting for Zuko to answer. He never gets the chance, because Katara opens her mouth and starts talking immediately, seeing it as a chance to show her Dad who Zuko really is.

"Nobody taught him that. The only people who might've are dead or currently missing. His Father and sister are cruel, and I think that's what you were seeing, Dad. He's not a kind person, hell, he's barely a person. I don't know what you all see in him, but he's really not worth anything, let alone our time or forgiveness. I will never give it to him, because he doesn't deserve it."

"...Ya know, I get it, you hate me, but was that really necessary? I know what I'm worth, and how much of a burden I am, but you just had to make sure Dad had all the details, biased as they may be or not. I think we get the point -"

"You shut the fuck up, trash. You are not something I ever want to be known for having been near let alone acquainted with. You should leave, as a matter of fact. Go away, right now. I don't care if it's right off a cliff, if it's into your "room" or even if it's holding yourself under water, but go away. You don't deserve to be here, and especially not now."

Zuko stands, and everyone suddenly realizes he wasn't laughing, or shivering like they'd thought. The tears fall down his cheeks as he looks as Katara, sparing a glance over to the others, who are shocked, and probably silently agree, surely they'd have said something otherwise, right?, before deciding to answer her before leaving.

"Ya know, I've known some really shit-y people, my sister and father included, and never have I ever met someone as slimy as you. You care for people, and ask for forgiveness, but you don't give seconds chances or your forgiveness, and you judge based solely on the past. I've been getting better, and I've even restricted myself to fire-bending for the food fire's and the sessions I have with Aang. If this is the way you're going to be, however, I think no one will blame me for taking back my basic humans rights. Good day."