Chapter 43: The Ruined Castle

"Do you think you can get away easily just like that after what you did to the Pirate City?"

An image of sinking ships flashed in my mind as I remembered what happened that day. I could still hear the screams of agony from the falling pirates and the last gasps of their breaths were like the smokes of candles that were blown by air. My grip on her arm tightened and I was on the verge of letting my anger get the best of me when I saw a small boy clung to her. I averted my eyes to the boy with a hair that was as white as the snow and wearing a thick fur coat. Two older boys and a little girl were also watching us with the same surprised look in their eyes. Gritting my teeth, I let go of the woman's arm aware that showing violence in front of the children was never a great idea.

I straightened and looked at her, showing hatred in my eyes. I watched as Cecilia caressed the boy's hair reassuringly and whispered something for him to join the rest of the kids. The boy looked at me with fear but decided to do what Cecilia told him.

"I understand that you're dying for this confrontation, my lady. However, I do hope that you will not do it in front of my children for they are too young to understand things. And I wish I have the time to settle it with you but we need to reach our destination before dusk," she said politely. She regarded me like she had never seen my nakedness, or combed my hair, or dressed me. She talked to me like the Pirate City never happened – like it didn't exist. And it intensified the anger and pain that were threatening to get out of the cage.

I clenched my fists on my side as I stared at her. Tarnus immediately walked up to me assessing the situation. He looked at the woman sternly when he realized my tension.

"Is she causing you trouble, my lady?" he asked.

It took all my strength not to command her death at the moment. My eyes wandered again to the children who were looking at me worryingly like I was the evil witch in their dreams and night story. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply trying to calm myself down.

"Are they your children?" I asked when I opened my eyes.

"Yes," she answered.

I thought of just letting her go at that moment. It must not be the right time for confrontation considering our audiences. At least, I knew that I could find her in the North Land. I glared at her in controlled anger and turned my back. I marched grudgingly back to the carriage and when I was about to get on it, the wind started to blow colder. I looked up at the darkened sky only to be kissed by the first snow. I glanced at Tarnus and I saw concern on his face. Apparently, we weren't expecting snow on our journey back to the East Land. We might encounter trouble on the way. To my surprise, Cecilia walked up to us. She looked at me the way she did in the Pirate City – like I was once again at her mercy.

"It will get colder and darker soon. I don't think your men would be able to handle it in case of a snow storm," she commented.

"And since when did that became your problem?" I asked sarcastically.