Chapter 44: The Visitors of the East Castle

When I woke up the next day, Tarnus and his men were already preparing the carriage and the horses. I saw Cecilia putting more logs to the fireplace. The children were still asleep, snoring lightly as they dreamed of hopefully good dreams. I combed my fingers to my hair as I fixed my eyes on Cecilia.

"Why did you betray the Pirate City?" I asked all of a sudden. I felt like I should try to know since she's already there in front of me.

She seemed to be surprised that I was already awake. She turned and looked at me and I thought I saw a hint of sadness in her eyes. She pulled the blanket up to Vivienne's shoulders and sighed.

"Aren't you happy that you're already home?"

I didn't like that she answered me with another question. It was like hitting her and she was able to dodge it and hit me back.

"I am happy to be home. But the thought of people who paid with their lives so I could have my ticket back to the mainland makes me sad. Why are you doing this? Can't you contain your happiness now?" I answered; bitterness was tracing its way through my words.

"If I didn't do that, I would never be able to see my children for a longer time – or maybe, not anymore. I had to do that so I could go home –"

"What? This is your home?" I cut her off.

She didn't answer. She must be thinking of the words she was about to say. And it was making me wonder why she needed to be careful around me. Was her treachery not yet the end of the story?

"Yes, this is my home. The North Land is my home," she answered. "You lighted a fire that is supposed to be long dead. If you really value the East Land, then go back to your homeland before it swallows us all in its avenging heat!"

And she turned her back to me reluctantly. I wasn't able to speak after that little confrontation. Tarnus decided to show up and told me that we are ready to travel home. Without a goodbye or even a single glance, I turned my back and walked to the entrance of the castle feeling bewildered of the conversation Cecilia and I had.

I spent the hours on the way back to the East Land looking blankly out the window of the carriage. Tarnus looked concerned and definitely wondering about what the woman and I talked about but he decided to keep silent and just watched me from a distance.

It was near noon when we reach the gate of the East Castle. We were immediately let in and when we stopped by the entrance, I saw Dorothy running towards me. My parents were following slowly behind her, both were looking worried.

"What have you done? The news circulated all over the mainland about you letting the pirates in our land. Have you gone out of your mind?" My father started as soon as I stepped out of the carriage. So, it seemed that my adventure to the North Land was already told in every corners and streets of the four lands. The news definitely traveled faster than my carriage.

"Well, we were caught by a snow storm on the way back to the East Land, but good thing, we're able to find a shelter to spend the night. Don't worry, father. We're able to manage it well," I answered instead.

"Are you alright?" It was my mother who reacted immediately upon hearing my misfortune. She hurried to my side and checked me for any bruises or wounds as if I had just braved the snow storm all night without any protection.

"I am not hurt, mother. You don't have to worry. I had the best men with me," I answered.

My father looked at me as if he could confirm what I had just said by just using his eyes. I smiled at him and walked up to his side. He put his hand around my shoulder when I leaned in for a hug. He could appear as hard as a rock but his daughter could always make him soft as a bun.