Chapter 20

I sit nervously next to Sara while waiting for the doctor that's assigned to my moms case. After what felt like forever, a young guy looking like he's in his mid-twenties in a white coat came over to us. He looks at us and I saw him looking at Sara, he looks down at the file in his hands, then back at Sara and I thought to myself; 'the doctor is checking out my sister.' I look at Sara and see that she have noticed it as well, so when she sees me looking at her, she went red in the face.

He came closer and introduced himself to us. "Good morning, sorry to keep you waiting, I'm Doctor Anthony Baker, my father, Seth Baker was your moms doctor until a week ago, but because of health issues  he had to retire early. I've ask for this meeting to talk about your mom, so if you ladies would please follow me to the office."

We go into the office and he told us to take a seat. "I've gone through your mom's file and I've double checked all her test. I've also had a physiatrist examine her and monitor her progress for the last year and a half and I'm sorry to say, but your mom have not improved over the time. Although she's off the alcohol, she is mentally unstable. I don't know if you have noticed before when you came for visits, she hardly talks, she has lapses in her memory and it wouldn't be wise to send her home, not even for a short period of time."

Dr Baker was explaining further, so I got up and looks at Sara, she frowns at me, so I told her I'm just gonna be outside, that I need some air. So I walk out of the office and stroll through the passages. As I was walking, I notice other patients walking around, but just walk past them without saying anything. I found myself at my moms room and just stand still fighting my own battles in my head.

I look through the glass inside the room and there she sat, playing with her hands, so I pushed open her door and walk in slowly. I stand there for a minute or so, then she looks up at me. I froze on the spot when I see how old she looks and thought to myself; 'she looks like a stranger.'

She smiles at me so I went closer to her till I am standing right before her and takes her hand. "I'm sorry that I could only come now to visit you, I've had some things to deal with." She looks back at me with a frown and said something that crumbled my heart. "Who are you," she says. I look back at Mom and explain that I'm her daughter Darla, so she just shakes her head, mumbling.

"I'm sorry, I have to go," I say to her and went to the door. As I pushed open the door Sara and Dr Baker came in and I just walk past them and told Sara I will wait for her by the car. I can see Sara's sad look, but ignored it and walks outside the building with a heavy heart. I'm sitting on the grass by Sara's car and after a short while Sara came outside accompanied by Dr Baker, so I got up and waited. She talks to to him for a few more minutes, then she approach me. "Are you ready to leave Darla" and I nod my head.

On our way home Sara ask if we could stop for coffee, that there is something she wanna talk to me about, so I agree. We stop at a small coffee shop and she orders two coffee's and we sit down. "Darla, after you left Dr Baker's office earlier, he told me that Mom has a tumor on the brain. Its to dangerous to operate at this stage, so they keep her on medication. That's the reason she has the lapses in her memory." I look at Sara with silent tears running down my face. "She didn't even know who I am, my own mother didn't know who I was."