𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒐

CHAPTER TWO

KATHERINE sat across from Newt with a smile. It was dinner and she sat with Newt and Chuck, talking about their day. Chuck seemed to be the most excited to talk about this, as the two older teens guessed. 

Chuck told his story of a prank he once pulled on Gally. Katherine was smiling as she picked up a carrot and put it up to her mouth and her eyes drifted around and she caught Minho's. He looked at her for a second before quickly looking down at his food. He seemed still upset about their earlier encounter unless it was something else that bothered him. 

"He was so mad!" Chuck laughed along with Newt. Katherine was pulled back to reality and smiled at Chuck once the younger boy looked at her. 

"Hey, you guys ready for the bonfire tonight?" Newt smiled. Chuck nodded vigorously, a large grin spread across his face. 

"What about you, K?" Newt used the nickname they had come up for the girl. She smiled and nodded. 

"You know it." Katherine winked. The three quickly finished their dinner before they brought their dishes to the kitchen. Katherine stayed to help out Frypan with the large pile of dirty dishes. 

"You know it's your day off right? You don't have to help me." Frypan smiled. "Although I do love the help." Katherine chuckled. 

"Yeah well, I want to hang out with my best friend." She nudged the dark-skinned boy with a smile, which Frypan returned. 

"Aw, K. You're too kind." Frypan placed his hand over his heart dramatically. Katherine laughed and began handing dishes to the boy. They finished up as the bonfire was just about ready to start. 

Quickly the two joined the other gladers as they lit their torches and got ready to throw them into the large pile of firewood that towered over everyone. Ably counted down and once he finished they threw their torch into the pile and it lit up instantly. 

Everyone cheered, pumping their fists in the air with smiles on their faces as Gally passed around his secret recipe drink, moonshine. He rolled his eyes at the brunette, as she did the same. He handed her a glass and pushed her eyebrows up once as he moved on. 

"What's up with you and Minho?" Fry whispered to Katherine. She looked over to Fry with furrowed eyebrows. 

"What do you mean?" She questioned. Frypan tore his eyes from where he was looking at looked at Katina as if it were obvious. She shook her head and her arms flew out at her sides as she waited for Frypan to elaborate. 

"He's been staring at you all evening." The dark-skinned boy glanced to Minho, who in fact was staring at the girl, and then back to the brunette as she looked over at Minho. Once they locked eye contact, Minho eyed her before looking away and taking a swig of his moonshine. 

"He has?" She asked looking back to Frypan. He nodded. 

"All during dinner, he could not keep his eyes off you while he came to put his dish in the kitchen, and the second you walked outside his eyes locked on you." 

"Huh." She furrowed her eyebrows, staring at Minho trying to figure out why he was staring at her. Fry took a drink of his moonshine as he looked between the two with interest. "Well, I was close to the map room today while I was out exploring the forest." She shrugged. 

"Oh, he get mad at you?" The boy questioned, already knowing the answer. She nodded. "Maybe that's why he's staring at you. Probably wondering if you were trying to get in." Fry nodded. 

"Maybe. The thing is, I didn't even know there was a map room, no one told me. And I didn't even see it when I was out there." She turned completely to the boy, taking a swig from her drink. 

Frypan hummed in thought. Katherine looked over at Fry waiting for an answer. She wanted to know why the runner was staring at her just as much as the boy standing next to her. It was hard to think with the music booming from homemade drums and other instruments as well as Gladers dancing around. 

"Alright! Let's form a circle, shall we?" Gally yelled out. There was a series of whoops and shouts from the other boys. Gally seemed to enjoy the attention. The boys created a circle, Gally and another boy inside. Katherine watched the two as she sipped her drink, talking to Fry every once and awhile. Newt nudged her and she turned to him. He had a grin on his face. 

"Do you think this boy'll finally beat Gally?" His accent filled her ears. She grinned slightly with a shrug. 

"Maybe. I hope so, Gally's a jerk who needs to tone down his ego." She rolled her eyes, glancing back to the ring. Newt laughed, a bit tipsy from his drink. 

"You got that right." Newt sighed amused and took another drink of moonshine. Katherine looked back to the blonde with a smirk as she knew he was tipsy. She opened her mouth to say something back but a body slammed into hers. She fell to the ground with the boy from the ring on top of her. His face went a deep of a red as she pushed him off her. 

"Oh, sorry, princess. Didn't mean to hurt you." Gally smirked. Katherine glared hearing the nickname. "Why don't you step in the ring?" Gally gestured to the circle. The boys all cheered. 

"You don't have to, Katherine," Newt said lowly, shaking his head slightly. She looked up at him in thought. She shook her head. 

"I do have to. He'll never stop bothering me." Katina mumbled back. "Hold this." She shoved her drink in Newt's hand. He looked at her in disbelief. Minho stood up from his chair and watched the brunette closely. The boys cheered as they made a clear path for her. 

"It's ok. I'll go easy on you, princess," Gally smirked. 

"I won't." She responded. 'Oohs' erupted from the boys. They wolf-whistled as she got into the fighting stance as well as Gally. Immediately he charged at her but she ducked and elbowed him in the back, sending him to the ground.  

The boys hollered, hitting each other's shoulders and chests as Gally stood up quickly with an unhappy look on his face. Minho stood as one of the borders with his arms crossed over his chest. He ran at her again, ready to punch her but she ducked his punch and pushed her fist into his nose. 

Gally stumbled back holding his nose. He glared at her looking extremely angry, the boys laughed. He removed his hand and blood oozed from his nose. He punched the girl across the face and she stumbled back into Minho. He pushed her gently up to her feet. 

Katherine kept her guard up and stayed on her toes. She didn't know how she knew how to fight, but she punched, ducked, etc. without thinking about it. It was muscle memory for her. 

The boy once again came charging at the small girl, she thought quickly and ran at him as well and at the last second, she dropped to the ground and slid under his legs. She kicked his feet out from under him and stood quickly and gave a kick to his stomach. 

Gally groaned holding his stomach, his body aching. "Sorry, princess. Did I hurt you?" Katina smirking down at the short-haired blonde boy. He rolled his eyes, coughing as he stood up slowly. She walked out of the ring as the boys hollered and laughed. They all patted her back as Minho stood still, watching her as she walked away with almost nothing but a small cut on her cheek and victory smile on her lips.