𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

KATHERINE woke up to Chuck shaking her shoulder. She looked around seeing it was still dark and Minho was still sleeping soundly, his arm draped over her torso. "Katherine." The young boy whispered.

"Chuck, what are you doing up? Are you ok?" She asked sleepily. Minho sturred, his head cuddling into the girl's neck. He sounded like he was scared and on the verge of tears.

"I had a nightmare." He said quietly. She quietly sat up and slid out of Minho's grasp making him sit up with her.

"Katherine? What's going on?" The runner questioned lazily, his voice husky as he rubbed his eyes.

"Chuck had a nightmare. I'll be right back, Minho." She whispered. The boy nodded and fell back into the bed. Katherine walked back to Chuck's hammock. Chuck had always thought of Katherine as his big sister and always went to her if he ever had a nightmare.

"Can you sing to me?" Chuck asked shyly. He seemed so much like an innocent child and Katherine felt incredibly sad that he was stuck in this shit place rather than free with a family and not having to worry about grievers coming into the Glade and possible death every single day. She nodded as the young boy got himself comfortable.

Katherine went through all the songs she knew and one specifically came to mind. She cleared her throat and began to sing softly and quietly so mostly the gladers around Chuck could hear.

Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh, why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow.
Why, oh, why can't I?

Chuck was fast asleep with a small smile on his face once Katherine had finished. She smiled to herself and walked back to Homestead. She didn't know that the boys around Chuck had woken up once the young boy left to get Katherine and she had also put them to sleep with her singing.

Once she got back to her room, she couldn't wait to crawl back into Minho's arms and fall back asleep. She opened the door and Minho sat on the end of her bed. She closed the door quietly as he opened his arms.

The girl smiled and crawled onto his lap, straddling him. She buried her head into the crook of his neck as he ran his fingers through her hair. Minho stood up as Katherine wrapped her legs around his waist to keep her from falling, his hands holding her under her thighs keeping her up.