𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

CHAPTER NINETEEN

THE girl did not want to go to the banishing. She already knew what happened and she definitely did not want to witness it again. Minho had to go since he was a keeper, especially since it was runner being banished. 

She heard the doors rumble and she knew it was happening. Her eyes glossed over, blurring her vision. She pressed her lips together and her head pulled down to look at her lap. Tears fell from her brown eyes and she wiped them away, sniffling. 

The brunette could hear Bens yells and that made her face contort in pain. She let out a whimper before pulling herself together. She wiped any evidence of tears away from her cheeks and sniffled again. She took a deep breath and stood up to go do her job. 

Katherine wanted to get the scene off her mind. Walking to the kitchen she saw the gladers with sad and glum faces, only frowns present on their faces. She walked to the kitchen and leaned against the counter taking a deep breath. She heard footsteps and pulled her head up and saw Minho and Frypan walking towards her.

Once Minho reached her he hugged the girl and subconsciously leaned into him. The side of her face pressed into his chest as her arms hung loosely around his neck. The runner rested his head on top of the brunettes. 

Frypan got the supplies ready to begin cooking, wanting to forget about what just happened. Katherine rubbed her scarred wrist and it made burry her face into Minho's chest. 

The rest of the night dragged on and Katherine and Minho spent their night silent, hugging each other. They both fell asleep with heavy hearts. 

☱☲☴☲☱

Minho, Katherine, Alby, and Newt all stood by the door. Minho and Alby were supposed to run inside the maze and see what was going on. Ben was stung during the day which never happened. Ryan was supposedly stung as the grievers cleared out which didn't really draw too much attention. 

Katherine clung onto Minho for as long as possible. It was the same routine for them as well. "I love you. You better come back to me in one piece." 

"I love you too. And you know I'll always come back to you, princess." She gave a weak smile and Minho pressed his lips to her forehead. Alby and Newt spoke for a few seconds, Alby going over what to do with Newt. 

Minho and Alby sprinted into the maze with one last goodbye. Newt could see the deep frown on Katherine's and felt a tug at his heart seeing his best friend so sad. He pulled her into a hug. "He'll be alright, love. I promise." The blonde assured, feeling nervous himself but he couldn't let that show. 

Katherine nodded weakly. The two walked away and separated to go do their jobs. Katherine went to the kitchen, seeing Frypan. Newt went to the gardens, Thomas close behind asking his questions. He was definitely full of so many questions, but who wouldn't in this situation?

The girl heard rumbling from behind her and saw clouds rolling in over the Glade. Rain clouds. She sighed as went back to washing dishes. It started to rain and as it got heavier and heavier the gladers stopped working, the rain making it slippery and dangerous for a majority of the workers. 

Thomas stood with Newt and Katherine under a large tent that was meant for whenever it rained or whenever the sun was too much to work in. The gladers all stood around chatting quietly as they all watched the maze doors, waiting for Minho and Alby to come through. "They should be back by now. What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas stated. Katherine squeezed her eyes shut trying to think positively. Newt glanced at the girl. 

"They're gonna make it." Newt held his gaze on her as she spoke before adverting his eyes to the open doors, feeling anxious. 

"And what happens if they don't?" Thomas walked over to them from the post he was just at. 

Newt paused looking to the ground before to Thomas over Katherine's head. "They're gonna make it." He said firmly. The girl pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she tried to not think about the horrible things that could happen to Minho out in the maze. 

The rain slowed to stop and all the gladers gathered around the doors, hoping to see Minho and Alby running towards the doors. Katherine wrapped her arms around herself, breathing deeply and focusing on Minho the entire time. Her heart clenched thinking about seeing Minho running towards her as the doors closed. 

She thought about if this morning was the last time she'd ever see the love of her life again. Newt looked at her and saw her eyebrows furrowed, her bottom lip between her teeth as she fidgeted anxiously. Some other gladers eyes wandered to the small girl knowing she was deeply in love with the runner. They felt bad, even Gally felt sadness for the girl. 

Newt rubbed her shoulder and she jumped, gasping slightly. She was only paying attention to the maze and that made her forget her surroundings, her mind only her boyfriend. "Come on, guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas turned to Newt. 

"That's against the rules. Either they make it back, or they don't." Gally stated, which only made Katherine feel worse. Chuck glanced at the girl with a sad expression. 

"Can't risk losing anyone else," Katherine said quietly from beside Thomas. He looked down at her sadness covered face and he felt the urge to pull her into a tight hug but he pushed the feeling away. Her heart ached as she so badly wanted to race in and find Minho. 

That all to familiar gust of strong wind hit everyone in the face, Katherine's hair flying back over her shoulders, the dust blowing into her eyes but she could care less. Her eyes turned glassy as tears pooled in her eyes. The doors were about to close and Minho wasn't in sight. 

Katherine held her breathe, not wanting to break down in front of everyone. She had to be strong, for Minho. She could hear the distant voice of Chuck muttering something but she could barely focus on that. Her chest tightened as her breath was sucked from her body. 

Her hands shook at her sides, as the smallest whimper escaped. She couldn't take losing Minho. She loved him and she needed him. "There!" Thomas shouted pointing to inside the maze. Katherine jumped seeing Minho hauling an unconscious Alby on his back. 

"Wait, somethings wrong," Newt said, his eyes focused on the two boys. Katherine cried out, yelling for Minho to run after the shock washed away. Chuck joined and so did everyone else. Gally yelled for Minho to leave Alby but he was too stubborn and Katherine knew that. 

"They're not going to make it," Newt stated in utter shock. Katherine cried out again, her fists clenching until she felt the skin break under her fingernails. She shook her head, one thing only on her mind as she quickly pushed her legs forward. She had to get to Minho. She felt Newt and others try to grab her but she was too quick. Thomas was hot on her trail, too far in for the other to grab. Katherine was smaller so it was easier for her to get through. 

She heard Newt and her other friends screaming hers and Thomas' name as she turned to give them one last smile, assuring she would do her best to go back into the Glade. The maze doors shut with a loud boom, Katherine, Thomas, Minho and Alby behind them. 

___

hiiii again. so they're now stuck in the maze. whoops--

hope you enjoyed this chapter and you should expect an update for next week this time lol

anyway, until next time

Xoxo, Gossip Girl ;)