𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆

CHAPTER NINE

THE alarm for the new greenie rang. Katherine rushed out of the kitchen along with Frypan and towards the middle of Glade where the box was. She stood beside Newt and Ably, waiting for the cement doors to open. 

When they did, Newt and Ably opened the metal rusted door. Gally walked up from behind the girl and then in front of her. He jumped down into the box. A black-haired boy laid on the ground, he seemed pretty terrified. 

Gally crouched down in front of him. "Day one, Greenie. Rise and Shine." Gally pulled him by his shirt collar and pulled him out of the box. The boy fell onto the ground, looking around panicked. Katherine felt bad. She remembered her first day and who scared she was. Although, she was and still is the only girl. 

The other gladers chuckled as he hit the ground. She knelt down beside the boy he back away from her watching her carefully. "Don't worry, greenie. I ain't gonna hurt ya." She smiled. He seemed to relax the slightest bit but tensed again as more gladers came to the circle. 

"What do you think he's gonna be?" 

"Look's like a slicer." 

"Nah. Maybe a slopper."

"Could be a builder." 

"Nah. He looks too small." The boys laughed. Katherine rolled her eyes at the boys. 

"Boys." She muttered under her breath. She stood up and stuck her hand out to help the poor boy up. He looked a little young. Black hair, green eyes, pale skin. "You remember your name?" She asked cocking an eyebrow. He was taller than her. She was maybe up to his mouth. But she was pretty short. 

"No. I-I can't remember anything. Why can't I remember anything? Where am I? Who are you?" He seemed on edge and still pretty terrified. 

"I'm Katherine. Over here is Ably and Newt." She pointed to the dark-skinned leader and the British blonde. They stood beside her after she turned back to the boy.

"Katherine will give you the tour. No questions will be answered, right Katherine?" Ably gave the girl a pointed and stern look. She nodded and glanced back to the boy with a smile. 

"Got it." She saluted. The boy was panting, keeping his distance. The gladers cleared out as Ably ushered them away. Ably went to go do his own work as Newt stayed with Katherine. 

"I'll pop in sometime to see how you two are doing." He nodded. The girl nodded with a grin and shoved the blonde away. 

"Yes, ok, we got it. Now go, let me give the tour." She huffed as Newt barely stumbled away. He chuckled and walked away. She turned back to the greenie. He watched her carefully. "I don't bite." She smiled sweetly. He eased slightly.