𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

KATHERINE was on her break and decided to go visit the greenie to see how he was doing. Thomas was currently walking towards the deadheads with the basket they used for fertilizer. The girl smiled and ran up to him. 

"Working for Newt huh?" She smiled warmly at the boy. He scoffed with a smile of his own. 

Thomas nodded, "Yeah. Gotta get some fertilizer." He sighed. Katherine chuckled and nodded. 

"I'll come with ya, greenie. Just can't help ya." She nodded with a grin still stuck on her face. Thomas chuckled and nodded. They finally reached the deadheads and Katherine led the boy to where they could go to dig up fertilizer. 

Thomas inspected the gravestones for the other gladers who either died trying to escape or whether they couldn't take being in the Glade and ended their own life. Some even died from accidents. Katherine stood above the brunette boy as he started to dig at the soil with her hands on her hips. 

The two heard the crunching of leaves behind them and Katherine whirled around, her hair whipping with her turn. Thomas stood and they both stood there looking at a very sick Ben. Katherine backed up knowing he was dangerous. Thomas, on the other hand, walked toward him. "Ben right? I don't know if--"

"Thomas. We gotta go." Katherine grabbed his arm pulling him back. Thomas looked at the girl weirdly as she kept her eyes on Ben. 

"What? Why--" Thomas was cut off as Ben lunged for him. Ben pushed Katherine aside and she fell to the ground with a loud thud. She hit her head on the wooden grave post and rolled onto her back with a groan. 

Katherine could hear Thomas yell at Ben as the blonde boy yelled at him telling Thomas it was his fault. Her mind flashed back to Ryan and her eyes welled up with tears from both the ache in her head and the memory of Ryan. Ben wrapped his hand around Thomas's neck and Katherine willed herself to get up. The girl stood up and grabbed a small skull and slammed it into the side of Ben's head. 

Thomas gasped for air as he scrambled to get up. Katherine helped him and they both ran as Ben chased after the two. 

Not again. 

Katherine thought to herself as they ran. Thomas yelled hoping the gladers would hear him. Katherine did the same. Ben managed to grab the girl's shirt and she yelped as he pulled her back. 

Ben had wrapped his large hand around her neck and pushed her wrist into the ground just like he did with Thomas. Yelling the same thing, that it was her fault. She kicked him in the sensitive spot before elbowing him in the side of the head. 

Thomas yanked her up and they were running again. Katherine could see blood running down Thomas's hand, leaking from the wound on his wrist that matched her own. The two reached the forest line and Thomas was yelling again. He made sure Katherine was in front of him as they ran from the sick runner. 

Thomas was yanked to the ground by Ben and he was struggling under the blonde once again. Katherine yelled for the other gladers as Thomas did as well. "Ben stop!" Katherine yelled kicking the side of his head. Ben was thrown off and rolled onto his side. He was getting up to his feet as Thomas backed away quickly. 

The other gladers were racing as Ben charged at Katherine. She dug her foot into the boy's stomach. He stumbled back and threw a punch to the girl. As soon as she hit the ground Newt hit Ben over the head with the end of his stick, standing in front of the girl as Frypan helped her and Thomas up. 

Alby came running and Ben started to freak out, knowing the consequences of his actions. Gladers were holding him down and Alby told them to put in the pit. They complied and carried Ben off as the boy thrashed around crying out that he'd get better. 

"What is with you and attracting sick boys?" Frypan shook his head at Katherine. She shook her head lightly and wrapped her arms around herself and walked away quickly. Thomas looked at her and Newt before running after her. 

"What did Frypan mean?" Thomas softly. Katherine kept her eyes on the ground as they walked. 

"The same thing happened to me a while ago. About the time when I first got here. His name was Ryan. He was stung and he escaped the med-hut and found me out in the deadheads." Katherine explained softly. Thomas felt bad that she had to go through that again. 

"That explains why you handled it so well," Thomas stated. Katherine glanced at his hand and sighed, blinking away her tears knowing they were going to banish Ben. 

"You should go get that bandaged up." She sniffled and walked faster as Thomas pressed his lips into a thin line, slowing down. Katherine rushed into her room and flopped onto her bed. The phrase Ben had said to her and Thomas rang through her head, trying to figure out what they meant by that. 

Katherine hadn't realized how long she was lying there just thinking when Minho burst through the door with a panicked expression. He sighed in relief and rushed over to Katherine and pulled her into his embrace. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around the boy. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there." He muttered breathlessly. 

"It's ok. I'm fine." She responded. It was true. She only had a headache from hitting her head on the wood gravestone and the hard punch Ben gave her in the fight. Minho shook his head. 

"I know. I heard you fought him off pretty good." The boy pulled away with a small smile. She nodded returning a weak smile. "That's all I care about. That you're safe." He hugged the girl, kissing her forehead once more. 

___

hiiiiiiii back again sorry for not updating last week but i got a double update coming your way ;)

anyway, until next time

Xoxo, Gossip Girl ;)