New Connections

"Nate?" We wrap our arms around each other in a big hug. When we pull apart, I laugh in disbelief. I notice that his usually pitch black hair is dyed a bright, blood red. Looks cool. He's also wearing a Letterman jacket.

"I can't believe it. After about 3 years, we find each other again. God, I missed you, man." We hug again.

"I missed you, too, Nate. Hey, what classes do you have?" I hand him my schedule and as he looks it over, a wide smile makes its way on his face.

"We've got all the same classes together."

"Yes!" Mark grabs my hand and drags me down the hall. I read the sign in front of the door and it says, 'Mr. Jefferson, Pre-Calculus'. Marks throws open the door and walks into the class. Only five other people are in the room and Mark drags me over there.

"Guys, this is Nate. Nate," he points to a guy with bright green hair and pale white skin, but noticeably bright blue eyes, "this is my boyfriend, Jack."

"Tahp o' de mahrnin!" Ok, he's Irish. Next, Mark points to a guy with bright blue hair and a bad case of acne holding the guy's hand next to him.

"This is Ethan and his boyfriend, Tyler."

"Hello." I smile. He points to a guy with bleach blonde hair.

"This is Felix." He just nods. Then he points to a guy with purple hair and light brown eyes.

"This is Thomas."

"Salutations." Lastly, he points to a small guy with brown hair and eyes. He looks kinda cute.

"And this is MatPat." He smiles and holds out his hand, which I politely shake.

"Hi, Mark has told us so much about you." My eyes widen as a smirk crosses my face.

"Really, because Mark hasn't said a word about you guys. Actually, he hasn't talked to me in three years." Everyone looks at Mark with a dumbfounded expression.

"Ok, in my defense, this place has a really bad connection and I got a new phone and lost your number." I just stare at him.

"Your mom has my number, you idiot." Now he just looks confused.

"She does?" I just give an exasperated sigh and look back at the group.

"Anyway," MatPat continues, "Tyler, Thomas, and I are gay, Ethan and Mark are bi, Jack is pan, and Felix is straight, and we call ourselves the Gay Squad." My eyes widen.

"And you don't get bullied?" He shakes his head.

"Only on occasion, but Mark, being captain of the football team and quarterback, has pretty much scared them all away." I look down and sit in one of the seats beside them.

"What's wrong?" I hear Ethan ask.

"Today's his first day and he was already bullied." I set my head in my hands and sigh, running my fingers through my hair. I look up and smile.

"It's ok, though. I made some friends and I won't let some idiotic bullies ruin that for me." They all smile.

"That's the spirit." Just then, the bell rings and students come piling in along with the teacher. MatPat and Mark take a seat on either side of me. The teacher stands in front of the class.

"Kids, today we have a new student. He doesn't have to, but he can come up here if he chooses." I wait a couple seconds, then decide to get up. I walk over and stand beside the teacher. "Would you mind stating your name and a couple things about yourself?" I nod.

"Umm, my name is Nate and I play guitar and piano and a bunch of other instruments. I love music and am a pretty big video game nerd. I think that is all you would care to know." I see a girl raise her hand and just from the way she dresses, I can tell she's one of the popular girls. Then I notice that's she's my ex from my old school before I realized I was gay. Fuck, I know what she's going to ask.

"Yes, Ms. Want?" I see Mark's eyes widen and he looks at me. I tell him to calm down.

"This is a question for Nate. What's your sexuality?" Yup, there it is. I sigh.

"I'm gay, is that all right with you, Morgan?" I ask, venom practically dripping from my voice. Her eyes widen in fear and she puts her hands up in surrender. I smile and sit down in my seat. Today is going to be a good day.