Tragedy

"Nate, you don't have to tell us if you don't want to."

"I mean, you asked, so why not." I take a deep breath and sit up. "She told me that she and dad were coming home tomorrow instead of in a week. She said that I would be punished when they got home because I didn't answer my phone. They also said that if I wasn't there when they got home, they would beat me twice as hard." I turn to look at Mat as I feel him rubbing my back.

"I hate to ruin the moment, but if we're gonna get you outta there, we're gonna need proof," Felix interrupts. Thomas raises his hand and opens his mouth to say something, but Felix continues. "They're gonna think it might be self-inflicted, might be fake. They need real proof."

"How do you know that?" Tyler asks. Felix looks to Jack and nods. Felix looks back at us and sighs.

"My dad is a cop. Seán and I were neighbors in Brighton and I knew about the abuse. I told my dad about it and he said they'd need real proof. When we got it, it was a little too late. Somehow, Seán's dad found out and nearly beat him to death. His mom protected him until she couldn't anymore. When the cops pulled up, my dad shot him on sight, right in front of Seán." Mark, tears silently pouring down his face, hugs Jack tightly to his chest as we all hear heart-wrenching sobs coming from the small Irishman. Felix looks down and continues.

"My family was moving here anyway for my dad's job, and because Seán had no living family left, we decided to take him with us. But, when we got here, we realized that we didn't have enough room for him. I knew Mark lived here and I knew how good of a person he is, so I asked him if he could stay there. Mark said yes, and the rest is history." We all sit in silence and listen to the somber and melancholy cries.

Slowly, Jack's cries lessen until he's out cold against Mark's chest. Mark picks him up and walks away and down the hall. After a minute, I stand up to get a glass of water. I turn around when I feel a tap on my shoulder and see Thomas standing behind me. All of a sudden, Thomas wraps his arms around me and gives me a bone-crushing hug. I wrap my arms around him and look over his shoulder at MatPat, who is trying to hide a giggle.

He mouths "He's very emotional." I nod, then Thomas lets go of me.

"I'm sorry you had to go through what you and Jack did. I don't know what I'd do if my parents never accepted me." I give him a sad smile, then go to the kitchen and get myself a glass of water. I lean against the island in the kitchen while drinking my water. Mark then comes back and sits down on the couch beside Felix and Tyler. He leans down, resting his elbows on his thighs and his head in his hands.

"What the fuck is wrong with society!?" He angrily asks. "How can people look down on others just because they're different?" He looks up and Ethan instinctively takes a step back. It's been so long since I've seen Mark, I forgot how scary he can get. I quickly finish my water and set the glass down in the sink, then walk over to the couch. I kneel down in front of Mark and gently run my fingers through his hair, something I know will calm him down. I hear him quietly sigh and he looks up.

"Thanks." Ethan sighs.

"This is be one hell of a day."