Not So Much

I feel bad for Nate. It's his first day of school and he's already been pushed around at least six times. I wish he didn't have to go through this.

Nate and I walk to the lunchroom and sit down with the rest of the squad. Everyone looks up and smiles.

"Hey, Nate. How's your day been?"

"Umm, shit." He sighs and I feel bad. I look down and slightly raise my hand.

"That may be my fault." They all look at me.

"How?"

"I used to talk about you to these guys," he gestures to the group, "and I told them all about you and how we used to date before we moved. One of the football players must've overheard because, in the locker room, Tyler and I have heard them making fun of you. They never knew what you looked like, but they must've connected the dots. I'm sorry." By this point, I'm nearly breaking down in tears. I feel arms wrap around me, engulfing me in a hug.

"It's not your fault. It's no one's fault except theirs. They're the ones bullying me. Not you." I smile and wipe my tears as he lets me go.

"I know, I just can't help it." I rest my elbows on the table and my head in my hands. I feel someone grab my hand. I look up and see Jack holding my hand across my table. I smile, giving his hand a squeeze. Jack lets go as our table is called and we go get our lunches. We come back and sit down.

"Wait, you guys used to date?" Jack looks very interested in this answer as he rests his elbows on the table and his head in his hands.

"Yeah. When I first found out I was gay, I realized I'd had a crush on Mark for a while and we started dating. We only broke it off because he moved. But don't worry, Jack, he's all yours."

"Dat's good news, Nate." I come up with an idea.

"Hey Nate, you know how we call ourselves the gay squad, even though only three of us are gay?" He smiles and chuckles.

"Yeah, how could I forget."

"Well, we all are LGBTQ+ supporters and that's the easiest name for ourselves. But we all have a shirt for ourselves."

"Yeah, it says 'GAY SQUAD' on the chest and pride written all around the hem. Our is usually the color we represent," Mat added. I could see the look Nate gave Mat and vice versa. I look at Jack and I know we've got a mischievous twinkle in our eyes. I look back at Nate.

"I'm obviously red." I gesture to my hair.

"We're orange." Mat gestures to both himself and Tyler.

"My hairs closest to blonde, so I'm yellow." Felix also gestures to his hair as well.

"Green!" Jack floofs his hair under his beanie. Damn, he's cute.

"I'm blue." And Ethan starts singing the song until Tyler tickles him into submission.

"I think my hair tells you my color." Thomas gestures to his bright purple hair. Which, by the way, looks amazing on him.

"Well, I've no idea what color I'd be. Probably purple."

"Well, I was thinking, maybe black." Nate smiles at Matt.

"I'd like that."

The bell rings and we all get up, dumping our trash. Nate and Thomas follow me to AP Language Arts.