Chapter 6 - Watch The World Burn

Ortega

The Admiral of his ship walks through the halls of the vessel, the night has fallen across the skies of Atlas.

He opens the door to the medical bay and he walks up to Captain Ridley who is on a medical bed. They have given him a cybernetic arm, unlike the arm that belongs to Yang, this one is more skeletal than hers, and everyone can see the internal components working away as he uses it. Each piston moving individually with every motion his fingers make as he flexes them. He looks straight at the arm with mad eyes, clenching it into a fist. Ortega stands before him, crossing his arms. "Report." He demands. Ridley is quiet at first, not uttering a word, he just lowers his arm. "Captain!" The General barks to get his attention, and Ridley just casually looks at his superior who looks pretty serious right now. "What happened down there?" He questions.

"He was there. Target Alpha." Ridley answers.

"He cut his arm off, sir." One of the soldiers says that was there, survived the battle that took place. He still wears the Seeker armour that they are given, the backpack glowing brightly.

"Those kids from Beacon were there as well. They were looking for that Bot, the Architect." He explains to Ortega and that causes the General to take a few steps around the room. Ridley remains still, waiting for his next set of orders from his superior. Ortega grabs his chin, scratching the hairs there. He sighs, turning to face him.

"Ready for combat?" He questions.

Ridley smirks, nodding. "Oh I'm ready...ready for round two." He says with certainty in his voice, clenching his hand into a fist.

"Good, I want you to start hunting them down. Track down their locations, kill them all. No survivors." He orders.

"With pleasure." Ridley responds, hopping off from his gurney and picking up his rifle, walking with his Seeker Comrade away from Ortega. Ortega remains still and then walks back to the elevator. He steps inside and places his finger against the button that sends him straight to the observation deck. The elevator rises up the column inside the huge ship until it reaches the dome at the top. He has a fairly shaken breath, closing his eyes, and then he musters his bravery, stepping into the Bio-Dome. He walks inside and he sees the entire city around him. But when he admires the city of Atlas, he shudders when he sees the darkness rising before him, swirling into an event horizon before him. He looks at the opening, being ready for who emerges. The dark armoured form steps out from the darkness, his glowing red eyes meeting his brown eyes. Death drops down from the sky, landing before him with a metallic thump, walking towards him.

"I warn you, General Ortega...our alliance is nothing more than a contract. And contracts...like all life...expires." Death threatens, his cold threatening voice echoing around him. Ortega looks up at the Knight that stands before him.

"You know, us Acolytes of Lien have a saying: the enemy of our enemy is our friend." He speaks to the ancient Knight. Death scoffs, rolling his hidden red eyes.

"Oh, Ortega...you simply fail to notice, don't you?" Death questions. "We are allies, yes...but we are far from friends, you are still my enemy for all life is." Death explains, making Ortega feel small. Ortega scoffs.

"So why do you use us then? If you are so powerful then why bother with letting us join you?" Ortega questions.

"Honesty." Death states. "I was coldly honest to you, for you are being honest with your questions and work." Death explains to him.

"Then what about what happened back at Mistral? You had them at your claws but you didn't kill them. Why?" He asks.

"Two confirmed dead from their side, one crippled and another missing. I would have finished them, but my superiors have other plans. We could have finished them in that desert but the incompetence of mortal intelligence lead you to fail, once again." Death clarifies with deep, snarling antagonisation in his voice. Ortega listens as he is being completely ruined by the words of the Knight of Death. "You promised us combat effectiveness with your mercenaries...or is there such a thing?" He judges. Ortega stares at the Knight.