10. Real Life

It's been roughly 3 weeks since the accident and Ian hasn't moved from his spot next to Nina's bed since he arrived the day of the accident. All the people that worked and have worked with Nina and were friends with her had flown out to LA to be by her side including Nikki. She knew how hard it was for Ian seeing Nina in the condition she was.

People may have speculated that the two hated each other but that was so far from the truth that it was funny. Nikki and Nina were the best of friends and all Nikki wants is for Ian and Nina to be together and have the life they've always wanted.

Ian was glad that the person responsible for the accident has been charged and sent to jail but at the same time he just wanted Nina to be okay and to wake up. To make this nightmare go away. Ian has been working on a plan to get her back but how will that be if she's in a coma and there was a chance that she'll never wake up? Well he even get a chance to get Nina back?

Now, as Ian sat by her side everything seemed to have frozen in place as of time had gotten stuck in time as if it wasn't sure if it should keep moving forward or stay where it was. As much as Ian wished for time to rewind it just didn't work. He had gotten so used to hearing her voice that it pains him to think that he may never hear it again.

"Mr. Somerhalder?" A voice called as the door to her room opened and he looked back to see the doctor walk in, "I have Nina's latest brain scan and the result shows that the swelling had gone down"

To say that Ian was frustrated with the results would be an understatement. It's been two weeks once the incident and Nina hasn't shown any signs of waking up. He even managed to get a hold of the best doctors in the field to help Nina. He didn't care if he had to spend the last of his money to get better. Every injury she had sustained from the accident had been fixed. Her wrist was pinned and cast, her lungs inflated and deflated on their own and her cuts had been stitched up. But nothing has changed. She was still sleeping when she should have woken up already.

"Then why is there no change?" Ian asked looking back at Binas unconscious body, "You said that everything has been dealt with, she's breathing on her own so why is she not waking up?"

"At this point it's all up to Nina, Mr. Somerhalder. We've done everything medically possible for her but somethings take time" the doctor answered

"How much time doctor?" Michaela, Nina's, mother asked as she held her daughter's hand on the other side of the bed as Edna, Ian's mother, stood behind her son, hand on his shoulder

"There is no way to tell exactly. Most comas don't last longer than 2-4 weeks" Doctor Jensen answered

"Most comas?" Edna asked

"There have been cases where patients have been in comas for longer than that estimated period of time. I've had witnessed many patients being in comas for months or years before waking up" the doctor said and Ian swallowed the knot that had formed in his throat as he looked down at Nina's peaceful look and couldn't help but let his tears fall, "Mr. Somerhalder I must stress that those are rare cases and all Nina's signs are pointing to her recovery"

"She'll wake up then won't she?" Ian asked not taking his eyes from Nina and both their mothers and their doctor looked at him with sympathy

"All of my medical knowledge point that she'll wake up. She's a strong and young woman so don't lose hope, Mr. Somerhalder, She has that on her side so it's all up to her now"

Later that day when he had managed to take in everything from what the doctor had told him and their mothers, Ian had managed to convinced both women to go back to the house and get some rest and that he'll call them with any news and that he'll call everyone else up to update them with what the doctor has told them. Episode 4 of The Vampire Diaries has aired and fans had been supportive and have been sending Nina get well wishes and prayers which he was grateful for. Right now he needs all the prayers he could get.