186. Real Life

It was the middle of the night when Nina woke up with sharp pains on her belly waking Ian in the process.

"Babe? What's wrong?" He asked as he turned on the light on his side to see Nina whimpering

"I-I don't know, but it fucking hurts" she whispered as she helped her belly praying that these pins were nothing but Braxton Hicks but in a way she knew what these pains meant. She had them when she became pregnant with their third baby but she lost him and she feared that she'd loose this baby too.

Ian didn't waste a moment before jumping out of bed as she began to cry as the pain increased. He grabbed his phone and knew how late it was but that Danielle would answer the call.

"Hello?" A groggy voice answered on the third ring nos Ian sighed in relief

"Hi, Danie it's Ian" he said as he ran around the room grabbing Nina and pair of sweats before rushing to her. She-with his help-sat up as best as she could and let him help

"Ian? Is everything okay? I hear Nina crying" she asked, more alert than before

"No, I'm taking her to the ER there's something wrong" he rushed out making Danielle gasp on the other end before he could hear rustling

"I'm on my way, I'll be there in 2 minutes" she said before hanging the call

"I'm scared," Nina whimpered as he helped her out to their room glad that there was no blood but also worried that something may be happening to their baby. They weren't ready to go through that heart a e again. Losing their son who they decide to name Camilo was enough and they weren't ready to go through that again.

As they reached the bottom steps, the door bell rang indicating that Danielle had arrived. Ian sat Nina on the sofa before rushing to answer the door letting the younger actress in

"Hi, I'm sorry for waking you up," Ian said but she only waved him away

"Don't worry about me, go on and take Nina to the hospital. I'll watch the little ones while you're away. I'll ven get in touch with the others to let them know what's going on. And you better keep me posted as well" she said and Ian nodded before going to help Nina to the car. They were glad that due to the hour that there were no paparazzi camped out in front of their house so they won't follow them.

Ian drove like a madman down the empty streets of LA before he reached the hospital and with the help of a nurse that had been on duty, they rushed Nina to the emergency unit.

He wasn't allowed in so he stayed back pacing the halls of the ER for however long it had taken for the doctor on duty to join him.

"Mr. Somerhalder?" The doctor asked and he nodded,

"How is she? And the baby?" He asked

"She's currently resting but I'd like you to know that your wife came in with preterm labor pains. We administered a drug that delays or stops the contractions but there's no knowing whether it'll stop for a few hours or even days so I would like to keep her in so we could keep a close watch on her." The doctor said and Ian nodded running hand through his hair, "I can't promise anything but what I can say is they we're going to try everything we can to safe your baby

*********

It was three hours after Nina had arrived at the hospital that she went into labor and there was nothing that could be done. And after four long and painful hours of pushing later, she welcomed a baby boy.

Their son was taken to the NICU as soon as he was born where he would be taken care off while other nurses took care of nina and got her as comfortable as be. Ian was at her side the entire time praising her for how strong and beautiful she was while all she could do was think what she did wrong that caused her to go into early labor but nothing came up. She blamed herself for not being able to keep their baby in until his due date.

"You did everything you could do but someone's things like these happen without our consent" the doctor said when she asked what she could have done to prevent it, "you're not the only ones who've gone through something this extreme before. I've had many couples who've gone through what you're both going through"

"Ho-how is he?" Nina asked after she let his words sink in even if it took the doctor a few times to drill into her that there was nothing she ,or anyone else for that matter, could have done to stop the birth.

"As of right now, he's stable" the doctor said and both Ian and Nina sighed in relief at the news. After a few more moments of speak with the doctor, the pair were left alone again.

"I'm sorry" she murmured and Ian frowned

"You've got nothing to be sorry for, sweetheart" he replied making her eyes prick with tears, "hey, sshh, it's okay"

"I'm a bad mother" she cried and he told her other wise reminding her just how much Blaire and Arrow loves her.

"You heard they doctor, there's nothing you or anyone could have done differently to prevent this from happening. Our baby will be alright and I will you. We will all be okay." He assured her and all she could do was nod her head as she sniffled against Ian's chest while he rubbed her back whispering soothing words into her ear.

Once Nina had fallen asleep, Ian stepped out of the room, the first he did was call Danielle to ask how everything was going back at the house with her saying that both Blaire and Arrow had woken up to a surprise upon seeing Danielle in their kitchen instead of their Mama but were static nonetheless. After letting her know what had happened, he decided to do on their group chat to let everyone know of the birth and that they had a baby boy. Their gender reveal party was now canceled due to the early birth of Baby Somerhalder.

As the hours went by their friends and family stopped by to visit and to let them know that all three of them were in their thoughts. Danielle brought the kids to see Nina and both asked when she was going home or where the baby was so both explained it as best as they could to their young children.

"I'll bring them back again tomorrow. I sure having them here will be good for her" Dani said when she and Ian stepped out of the hospital took to talk and he nodded

"Couldn't agree more" and so with that the pair went back into the room

"Alright little ones, time to say night night to your mama" She said and they whined and evening began crying but Ian promised that he'd be home tomorrow. After some tearful good nights, Danielle and the kids left and Nina and Ian were once again on their own.

"Get some sleep" Ian whispered as he noticed Nina's eyes begin to close but she shook her head

"I don't want to leave you alone" she endorsed and be smiled

"I'm not alone though, I've got you even if you're sleeping"

"Such a romantic" she chuckled before yawning

"And you're tired. Gets some sleep" he replied

"Okay. I love you" she whispered and he smiled leaning forward and pressing a soft kiss on her lips

"I love you too,"