12. Article

Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed split after two years

Actors Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed have split after two years of marriage. The couple announced the break up in a joint Instagram statement with Ian stating, "Nikki and I have something to tell you all. We wanted you to hear it from us before you hear it anywhere else. We have lovingly chosen to separate as a couple, The statement continued on with Ian stating, "Absolutely nothing has changed about how much we love one another, but love is a beautiful adventure that is taking us on different paths for now. There are no secrets nor salacious events at the root of our decision—just two best-friends realizing it's time to take some space and help each other live the most joyous, fulfilled lives as possible. We thank you all in advance for respecting our privacy. Sending lots of love to everyone. Ian and Nikki"

The announcement comes just two weeks after Nina Dobrev was involved in a car accident that left her in a coma and fans began speculating that perhaps the accident was a reason for the couple to separate but in an interview weeks before the accident Nikki and Ian both spoke up that they had been separated for a while but haven't announced their divorce until recently.

Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed first made headlines in 2014 when they were spotted out and about in Studio City Farmers Market and jogging together in LA.

It had even been rumored that the Twilight star and The Vampire Diaries hunk would take the next step in their relationship and start a family but it looks like that dream has turned to dust with their untimely ending.

We wish both Ian and Nikki the very best in this new journey as they continue life apart.

Are you surprised that Ian and Nikki broke up? Leave your comments below and we'll keep you posted on what the future holds for these two gorgeous people.