1

A loud ringing and buzzing began to echo through my room early in the morning. I groaned, rolling over too far in the bed and falling off. I kept smacking around my side table to try and locate the source of the buzzing, I was just about to hit snooze when I shot up in bed remembering; holy shit. I'm going to college today.

I've been waiting for years to get this far in life, I never expected to be able to move forward so much to the point where I would be able to leave my home and move away to go live on my own. Well, with a roommate, but away from my parents and my family. And, unless my roommate is similar to me and doesn't enjoy leaving the house much because their hobbies are all introverted, then I doubt they'll be around that much.

I got off the floor, groaning since I hit my head when I fell and rubbed the sleep away from my eyes. I walked into the bathroom and decided I should take a quick shower before leaving since I was probably going to be way too busy settling in to actually bother with personal hygiene. As soon as I was done with the shower, I stared at my towel and realized it was covered in hair dye as I had just dyed it recently. Whatever, it washes out.

Wrapped up in my towel, I rummaged through the small amount of clothes I hadn't packed and just grabbed the first shirt I saw. I knew it was some sort of band t-shirt but it had faded away so much it was completely unrecognizable. I also found some sweatpants that I knew would be comfortable enough to survive through the long drive I was going to have to endure to get to Jersey.

I towel dried my hair and brushed it out with my fingers enough to not have insane knots through every strand of hair and just went downstairs to eat with my family before leaving. I saw my parents setting the table and smelled something sweet cooking on the stove as well as freshly brewed coffee.

"Woah, you made all this?"

My mom nodded and handed me some plates so I could help set the table, "we did, we woke up early so we could say goodbye to you before your big day!"

"Mom, I'm only moving a few states over, don't be dramatic."

She sighed, "I know, I know. It's just, you've never been away from home for a long time like this and when you have it's almost always been with us."

We kept talking while we finished setting the table until my younger brother Sean came dragging his feet down the stairs in his star wars pjs and Yoda slippers. They were the most ridiculous thing I had seen and thought it would be a funny Christmas gift so I got them for him and he now wears the abominations around the house. It was obvious he had just woken up since he was rubbing his eyes, dragging his feet and his hair was sticking out in practically every direction. He smiled at me when he walked into the dining room and I ruffled his hair, messing it up even more.

"Morning." 

"Morning, can't believe you're leaving for college today." He pouted at me as if he was trying to make me feel guilty for leaving.

"I know dude, it feels like yesterday when we were playing COD zombies together for the first time." We sat down to eat and my mom set down a large plate full of freshly made, warm pancakes on the table. She passed the juice and syrup around and we said grace before we began to eat. I tried to take it as slow as possible to treasure the time I had left at home, but I was just so excited I ended up scarfing my breakfast down and rambling about how excited I was to go to college.

I left my dirty dishes in the sink after quickly rinsing them off and went upstairs to finish getting ready. I brushed my teeth and tried to mess with my hair again but eventually gave up and just left it looking shaggy and messy.

I packed my hairbrush and makeup bag into my suitcase and zipped it shut. This was the last suitcase I had to pack, it wasn't like I had much to pack since I had two large suitcases, a duffel bag and a backpack with the essentials like underwear, toothbrush, money, my laptop and chargers. I carried my remaining bags into the car. My dad helped with the heavier stuff a few days ago so I didn't have to put in much effort into taking down these last things.

I was terrified of going to college on my own, knowing I was going to be alone for the first time so right before I left my bedroom I grabbed my little Stitch stuffie and put him in my backpack.

I walked downstairs where my family was waiting for me, "Ready kiddo?" my dad asked.

"Let me say bye to mom and Sean."

He nodded, "I'll take your last bags to the car."

I nodded and walked to mom first, I hugged her and made her promise me to keep an eye on Sean and call me if she missed me at any point. She just laughed and promised she would.

"Sean, get in here," my mom called into the kitchen.

"You're leaving already?" I nodded, "I'll miss you, hamster." I ruffled his hair.

"I'll miss you too, idiot." he hugs me one last time and pats my head.

"Okay, call me when you get there, I don't want you to be late."

I nodded and gave each of them quick hugs and then ran to the car where my dad was waiting for me. I gave him one last hug goodbye and climbed into my car. I turned on my phone and pulled up the GPS so I could get directions

I had been driving for a good six hours now with only one quick pit stop at a gas station to go to the bathroom and get some snacks and a drink to be able to keep driving for a couple hours. There was a motel 3 hours from my current location so I thought it'd be a good idea to push myself and keep driving until I got there so I could sleep in a bed instead of the backseat of my car. They both weren't the safest option but at least the motel would be a bit better.

I got to the motel after a good while of being on the driveway and checked in. I got my duffel bag and backpack out of the car so I could change into comfier clothes once I was in the room. The motel was much nicer than I was expecting and the price for it was really good, considering that a hotel this nice would probably be a lot more expensive than it is.

I got into the bedroom and just threw on some clean sweatpants that I would wear on the drive tomorrow and kept the same shirt on. I would just take a quick shower before leaving and have breakfast after that so I could be back on the road as soon as possible. After changing clothes I just collapsed into the bed and let sleep wash over me, I was so exhausted from driving that it didn't take long until I was fully passed out.

The next day I woke up, had some breakfast at the motel, grabbed some snacks from a convenience store and quickly went back on the road. As much as I enjoyed driving, doing it for well over twenty four hours was just not appealing to me in the slightest. It quickly becomes such a boring and repetitive thing, just constantly seeing the blur of green foliage and endless stretches of land and fields for miles and miles was making my brain go numb.

I got to my second pit stop and decided I'd just park and take a short three hour nap before chugging some energy drinks and hitting the road again.

I woke up just when the sun was beginning to rise, so there were a few streaks of light peeking in through the windows of the car. I know, I know. It's not safe to sleep in your car, but I simply did not feel like spending money on another motel room when I was less than eight hours away from my destination. I knew if I just took a small power nap and pushed through the whole thing, I'd be able to make it to the college campus and fully collapse as soon as I was safely inside of my dorm room.

After another eternity of green blurs, wheat fields and corn fields, I finally managed to make it into the college parking lot. I was so exhausted I didn't even grab my large suitcases and boxes from the car, I just grabbed my backpack and duffel bag and headed inside.

I registered at the front desk, where they gave me a lanyard, a small leaflet to introduce me to the college and my dorm room key along with the name of my roommate. I thanked the lady at the desk and sluggishly made my way towards the dorm building.

I opened the door and saw a relatively nice sized room. There was a large loveseat in the middle of the room, in front of a relatively large TV, a small kitchen with a fridge and different appliances and some boxes around the room, clearly other people were still unpacking their items. This seemed like a communal space since there were 5 doors with different numbers on them around the communal area.

I didn't bother with trying to get to know my new neighbors, being too drowsy to actually give a damn about who was going to live in this block and made it straight to my bedroom. I unlocked the door, dropped my bags on the floor next to the first bed I saw and completely passed out.