15

Tw- insinuation of self harm, mentions of alcohol and drug use (just weed dw)
▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪

I had the cigarette and lighter in my pocket. I wasn't exactly sure I'd need it but it felt kind of necessary to have. I wasn't addicted, but it offered some slight comfort and it was probably better than the other methods I use to cope.

I walked for a while until I found a pretty much empty area with the exception of a few people studying or just hanging around. I saw a tree far away from everyone and decided to sit under it to have a smoke. There was a 'smokers area' sign on the tree so I thought there would be no issue if I sat here and smoked.

I held the cigarette in between my lips and slightly cupped my hand around the lighter so the flame wouldn't instantly die because of the wind. I flicked the lighter a few times before I finally got a solid flame going and brought it to the bottom of the cigarette, lighting it on and taking a short drag so it would keep burning.

I leaned against the tree trunk and placed the lighter down on my lap, I took a long drag and let out a small puff of smoke. "Didn't take you as a smoker." I heard a voice speak which startled me since I didn't see or hear the person approach me.

I looked up and saw pastel blue hair and two grey and blue colored eyes staring down at me, "Awsten, you scared the shit out of me."

"Nice to see you too." He retorted. "But seriously, why are you smoking?" He sat down next to me.

"I'm stressed." I took another drag and exhaled, "it's kind of a stress reliever in a way."

"Ah, I see." He sighed, "it's a terrible way to cope though."

"Yeah, it's better than other ways." I was almost done and decided to put the cigarette out on the tree trunk and dropped on the floor.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Even unhealthier ways of coping." I stated.

"I don't even want to imagine what you're talking about." He stayed quiet for a moment, "Can I ask what those other ways of coping are?"

I shrugged. We sat in a comfortable silence for a while until I spoke up, "Hey, do you wanna get out of here?"

He looked at me, "what do you mean?"

"Like, leave campus and go out and something fun."

He stared at me like I had lost my mind and he sat there for a second, trying to process what I just said even though it's not that hard to understand. "Sure, let's do it."

I stood up and offered my hand out to him to help him stand up. "Where do you wanna go?" I asked him.

"I don't know but recently I've been craving some doughnuts." He smiled at me.

"Sure." I searched for my phone in my hoodie pocket and realized I had left it in my dorm room. "Shit." I muttered quietly but Awsten still managed to hear it.

"What's up?"

"I left my phone in my dorm," I sighed, "can you come with me to go get it?"

"Yeah, sure." He followed me to my dorm and I opened the door and we walked in to the common area.

Neither of us were expecting to find what the sight in front of us; Gerard sitting on the couch with a black-haired girl straddling his lap and making out with him. She was open mouth kissing him and licking all over his face, which was kind of gross to me, not because I've never made out with someone before, but because they were leaving spit blobs all over each others faces.