Last Leg

Narrator
The remaining time before the one on ones passed quickly and soon the lucky competitors were gathered in front of Midnight to hear the news.

"Now, without further ado, these are the match ups for this year!"

The whole layout for the tournament was put up on the screen.

Hatsume Mei vs Iida Tenya
Todoroki Shouto vs Kirishima Eijiro

Suzumi heard Iida groan at being pit up against Hatsume for the second year in a row.

Midoriya Izuku vs Mina Ashido
Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu vs Sero Hanta

Ashido collapsed in on herself at the sight while Tetsutetsu and Sero smiled at each other, raring to go.

Bakugou Katsuki vs Shinsou Hitoshi
Kaminari Denki vs Tokoyami Fumikage

Bakugou smashed his hand into his fist with his usual smirk, glaring at an indifferent purple-haired boy. Kaminari gulped loudly as he and his opponent made eye contact.

Shiozaki Ibara vs Kendo Itsuka
Uraraka Ochaco vs Honenuki Juzo

So Uraraka was against Juzo, that was the name of the boy in Suzumi's team, she facepalmed as she suddenly remembered.

Sakurai Suzumi vs Monoma Neito

Great, she fights him during the Rat Maze but still has to fight him all over again. And she had to be so careful around him too, to keep him from gaining access to her power. That boy was becoming a real pain, at least his ability required skin contact and the gym uniform was pretty covering.

Everyone hurried to the stands to watch as the first match began and soon became more interested in anything and everything else as Hatsume once more made a walking advert of the fast hero. Iida was so humiliated by the event that he didn't speak to anyone for at least five minutes after the match ended (Hatsume had walked out of bounds yet again) angry at himself and at Hatsume for embarrassing him. Poor boy.

The next match was quick to start, Todoroki and Kirishima taking their places on opposite sides of the field. The matchup seemed a little unfair to Suzumi but that was the way of the world and Kirishima would have to face villains with long-distance quirks in the future anyway so this was good practise, but still. Kirishima charged the moment the match began, ducking away from the first wave of ice shards coming his way and rubbing his knuckles together as he activated his quirk and slammed a fist towards the heterochromic boy but instead found himself hitting against a wall of ice that had appeared in a blink of an eye. Suzumi had almost missed it. He'd clearly gained even more control since last year and true, she'd seen a hint of that during training but not like this; she wondered whether this control extended to his left side.

Kirishima continued to smash through the walls as they were created but it was exhausting him— he wouldn't be able to keep it up much longer— but he couldn't stop either because the walls were slowly pushing him closer and closer to the white line that showed the bounds. The redhead was quickly growing desperate and his quirk was slowly failing him too but he kept fighting, kept wracking his brain and kept it all up until the moment his foot crossed the line.

He sighed and dropped his arms defeatedly, the ice walls quickly melting away, the two shook hands and a shark-toothed grin quickly returned to its rightful place.

Suzumi was glad that Kirishima was happy once more as the pair made their way back upstairs.

"That was pretty incredible, dude!" Kirishima complimented as they walked together.

"You also did well,"

"No man, that was all you, your quirk is so manly!"

They turned a corner and Todoroki brushed up against someone but ignored it as he returned his focus to Kirishima. He was pretty sure he should be making the redhead feel better but he wasn't sure how.