An End to the Start

Author's Note
This is a long one...

Flashback- Suzumi
I'm almost there. It's like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, even sitting here in the pitch black, and that light is the only thing keeping me going. I am so tired.

I spent most of yesterday getting acquainted with my teacher's newest friends, people who would skin a child alive if the pay was good enough. The worst human beings of the world who hide in everyday places just to make you think they're safe. It's good though, means there are more people I get to take down when it all ends. I'm looking forward to wiping these disgusting people out of the history books and showing people that that lovely guy everybody talks to whenever you go grocery shopping, you know, the one with the bright smile that always seems to brighten your day? He really isn't as nice as he seems, I literally watched him walk out of a room covered in blood, slamming the door on someone's screams.

It was a lovely experience.

"How are you feeling?" she asks me.

I turn to her with cold, empty eyes, "Fine." I respond with an emotionless voice I've come to recognise as my own in recent months. Even I find it frightening sometimes, this mission has certainly changed me.

It was starting to get pretty late as the low-level, warm lights of the building began to activate and I could feel the day's training getting to me as sleep pulled at my limbs. I walk towards my room knowing she'll figure out what I'm doing without me saying but, unusually, her hand falls heavily onto my shoulder. I keep my heart from pounding as I turn to face her, keeping the mask firmly in place.

"Hirota."

I hate that she insists on calling me that, it seemed like a good idea at one point but hearing that name so often either makes my blood boil or want to throw up— preferably in her face. "Come with me." Naturally she says nothing else, she just loves her mystery.

I comply with her orders as always and hide my surprise as she opens the locked door I've spent so long trying to get into. Rickety stairs lit with a sickly orange-yellow glow lead us downstairs into the cold.

Clanking of chains. I was right. Quiet rasping. He's here!

The room opens up to reveal the bloodied and broken body of a man in chains. He needs medical attention as soon as possible, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in such a state, I'm amazed he's even still alive. How long has he been kept like this?

"This," she pauses with a disgusted look, "hero, was sent to spy on me. He was one of many but this one got too close."

I watch the unconscious man, glad he can't hear or watch this, and keep my visage calm and calculating.

"Now, I was going to kill him, but then I realised this could be a good teaching point for you."

I just have to wait for my chance, then I can get him out of here and my mission will finally be complete. I hear heavy footsteps as one of my teacher's friends comes down the stairs— a thug I've been beaten to a pulp by more times than I care to admit and in return, has been beaten by me more times than I care to count. I mostly ignore his entrance but keep an ear on him as now I have two people to deal with when the time comes.

"Physically and with your quirk, I feel I have advanced you as far as I am capable. But there are still things you must learn, see, this man has information I've been wanting for over a year now." She turns to a rack filled with instruments I recognise all too well.

Oh God.

She hands me one such tool, placing it reverently in my hands. Screw a good opportunity, I can't go any further than this.