Villainous Persuits

Suzumi- some time later
Why am I doing this? This already feels like an awful idea, probably even worse than trying to hide my fake vigilante status from my friends while I was around them as both hero and vigilante. And yet, I'm still standing here, looking into the room that contains the man who tortured me for years so that I can ask advice of all things.

I'm asking Hirota, for advice.

I'll admit I never saw this day coming.

He seems guarded but hopeful when I finally spit out the question, the sight makes me sick to my stomach, "So little Zuzu wants to know how to be a villain?"

I withhold a groan as I raise a tired hand to my face, "Don't make this harder than it has to be."

His face practically lights up. You know, I think the part of this I most hate is that it makes him happy. I just have to remember that I'm misleading him, that I'm taking his suggestions and using them against everything he wants for me. Yeah, that makes me feel a little better.

"Well if you want the easiest path, then you should just let me go," he suggests, emphasising his point with a magic 'Poof!' of his hands like a wizard who's just made the coin in his hand disappear.

"No." I state firmly and nothing is changing my mind on that.

He pouts, "Why not?"

"Because you're a sick, sadistic bastard and I like torturing you," I answer with a straight face because it's not far off the truth, "now how did you do it when you decided?"

He sighs, laying down on his thin mattress, "I made a big scene, drew attention, built myself up."

A big scene, huh? I can do that, "Who showed you the ropes?"

"Nobody, I learnt as I went. With a disposable army, what did mistakes matter?"

Naturally. I'll have to figure out a way to get involved with the group myself then, if I remember right, it's a League of Villains revival group or something. But these guys are different, much better at keeping the different parts of the group separate so no one person knew too much. Except the leader of the entire operation, of course.

Each faction is labelled with a number, Zero was the lowest rung, sort of like their version of Hirota's disposable army. But the factions go all the way up to Nine. There's a lot more to take out if we have a chance of taking them down properly. Hopefully Captain Tanaka's interrogation will yield some results and we'll be able to learn more about these villains. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know anything of value though, he was only the leader of Zero, after all.

I'll just have to go with the flow.

I've done everything I needed to do now. I talked to my old friends, I spoke with Hirota, I said goodbye to Keiko. All I have to do is go. Even if all I want to do is tell them I'm giving it up and staying.

No.

Even as I tell myself I have to leave, I find myself staring at an old photograph. It's a class photo, from the disastrous summer camp before it took a turn for the worst, we were all sweaty and exhausted but everyone was still there when Momo took a camera out to immortalise the moment. We were bone-tired, we were hungry but we were together and we were happy. That was all that mattered.

Simpler times.

A small smile graces my lips at the small hint of nostalgia washing over me as I wipe the lonely tear from my cheek, gently releasing the photo from its framed cage. I place the small rectangle safely into my inside pocket just over the left of my chest.

Goodbye everyone.