Life Now

Narrator
Todoroki Shouto was grateful for a lot of things. He was grateful for his friends. He was grateful for the job he loved. He was grateful for being able to help others. He was grateful for his apartment and not having to live with his dad anymore. But most importantly, he was grateful for his wonderful green-haired fiancé, the boy he'd loved since high school.

They'd been living together for four years now and engaged for the last three months since Todoroki had finally got the courage to propose. They'd agreed to take it slow though, they were heroes and honestly, they didn't get to see each other half as much as they wanted to, besides, they didn't need some contract to say they belonged to each other, they knew it.

Their home was modest for two heroes so high in the rankings but they'd never wanted more and they'd never needed it either. They were happy as they were: together.

Today however, was one of their very few days off and as tradition stated, they were spending it on a day-long date as well as seeing their friends if possible. They had just met up with Uraraka and were making their way down a calm high street.

"So what's the plan for lunch?" she asked in a chirpy voice, "I haven't got long before I have to be on my next patrol," she added, keeping an eye on a small watch around her wrist.

"Um, I'm not really sure," Midoriya answered, looking to the man beside him and gently squeezing his hand in a silent question.

Todoroki hummed in thought, "I'm not sure either,"

"Maybe we should try something new," Midoriya suggested and Uraraka's head suddenly bobbed up and down excitedly,

"I've heard about this new cafe around here, apparently they do the best milkshakes ever!"

Todoroki saw how Midoriya's eyes lit up and knew there was no way they weren't going to this place now. "Lead the way," Todoroki told his friend.

She pulled the two along childishly and eventually they found their way to a pastel-colour-themed diner. They quickly took seats in a booth with cushioned sofas that matched the light style of the whole place. They took out menus and began to search for what to have, the majority of the meals were American but there were still a few Japanese foods for the less adventurous. Too soon, they were greeted by a hostess with short brown hair that curved boyishly around her face.

"What would you-" The hostess' eyes widened at the three heroes but they were used to this reaction from people and didn't even look up. "W-what would you three like?"

They could practically see the woman beaming out of the corner of their eyes as they continued to look through the menus.

The three gave their orders quickly, mentioning that they needed to leave quickly and yet the young woman still asked them how their day was going. They gave curt responses in an attempt to hurry her away and was glad when she got the hint.

They fell into easy conversation which quickly became a passionate debate which continued as the hostess returned with their drinks, "I see you're meeting up with some old friends today, is this a special occasion?"

"Not really," Uraraka said, barely glancing at her as the debate got more heated.

The woman handed out their drinks and stood their awkwardly for a few extra seconds until someone called her away: "Hey Zuzi! Can I get a hand over here?"

The hostess looked straight at the heroes again, then shook her head, rolling her eyes before hurrying over to her coworker in need. The group of friends mostly ignored the strange behaviour of the waitress, assuming it was just a bit of fangirling and they continued in their debate.