Chapter 9

Two months. . .

For Rose they had been amazing. She helped people, found meaning in her work, built new relationships, and even a little bit of romance.

The same cannot be said for Luciano, however. The situation with the Triads and the Bratva seemed to be getting worse and worse by the day. He was working non-stop to make sure that the territory and all their assets were secure, but it was like his opponents stayed one step ahead of them.

Like they knew his every move.

His only grace period was when he was able to see Rose's smiling face. He knew she took note of how ragged he looked, but it wasn't like he could come out to her about it.

When she suggested they meet up, Luciano didn't know whether to take this as a good or bad thing. Fortunately, there was still a place under his control that they could safely talk.

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

Rose's Perspective~

"We need to talk."

We both spoke at the same time and my stomach dropped. We stood in a awkward silence.

"Hey, you cool?" I peered into his face and he quickly gave me a smile, scanning me over.

"I'm great, fiore." Bending down to give me a kiss on my cheek, Luciano grabbed my hand, tugging it gently to lead my out of the apartment and down the stairs. I sighed a little, he was still trying to be a romantic.

Going out of the lobby I noticed that it was strangely empty of anyone. Even the security guard was missing and he always greeted me when I was coming and going from the building.

I narrowed my eyes, the empty lounge prompting some suspicion.

Huh.

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

"So. . ." Luciano's eyes pierced into me and I nodded.

"I guess I first want to start by saying-" I stopped talking and took another gulp of wine. This isn't getting me drunk quick enough.
"I'm so grateful to have been working for you and Mr. Vinetti. I'm also happy I met you." I reached over the table and placed my hand over his.

"This has all been an amazing learning experience, I-"

"You're rambling, Rose." I shivered as his voice cut me off. His voice dropped an octave when he spoke, that typically means he's serious.

Here goes.

"What I'm saying is, I'm going-"

Buzz! Buzz!

Luciano's phone buzzed, his attention diverted. I slumped in my seat, letting out a breath as his eyes left mine. Sometimes when he looked at me I feel like I'm some sort of prey. Like he was some big predator that had me in his sights.

He was looking down at his phone, his lips pursed tight. A look of rage crossed his face, his jaw clenching, freezing me in my place.

Since when did his eyes look that cold?

Before I could say something, his eyebrows eased up and he gave me an apologetic glance. "I'm so sorry Rose, but I have to cut our talk short. I promise I'll make it up to you somehow."

Not saying anything, I nodded my head giving him a small smile.

Maybe it's for the best?

Luciano scanned my face before letting out a small tsk.

"Come, I'll drop you off."

After a silent car ride, I went back to my empty apartment. It looked like I left some of my lights on in the room. Too shocked to really notice, I sat on my couch and bit my nails, a bad habit of mine that I hadn't quite grasped after all this time.