Chapter 28

For Klaus, everything good was taken from him when his mother died. His happiness, his feelings, and even his father. His happy world was taken from him, yanked out of his tiny grubby hands and instantaneously he was brought into the underworld.

A place of murder, cold heartedness, greed, and sin. He remembers seeing Rose for the first time that night. Of course he found the woman attractive, but it wasn't until she spoke to him that she took his breath away. While they were dancing, her touches sent sparks across his skin.

He had pulled her closer because she was warm. She was the first time he felt warm and not cold in a very long time so he invited her to his house. The whole way there Klaus had to continue touching her, it was addicting. The way her breath hitched when his cool hands met her hot skin drove him crazy.

He really enjoyed himself that night. Falling asleep with her in his arms, her tight against him, breathing soft and looking innocent, not even knowing what she did to him. Then he woke up, and his happiness was gone. He didn't have a name, nothing he could go off of to find her. He never thought she'd leave him, he thought she felt what he felt.

When Klaus had lost all hope of finding her again, Rose dropped into his life again. Maybe he could have done things differently. Perhaps gaining her trust or not having his security shoot at her so she couldn't escape but this is what he feared. His girl disappearing.

As soon as he woke up, he had a pounding head ache. He knew immediately even with a sluggish feeling that he must have been drugged. Glaring at the glass cup he had been drinking from, Klaus shakily tried to stand.

Although everything was spinning around him, he had to see. Had to check if she was still there. The halls were eerily empty as he made his way throughout the manor. His heart pounded loud in his ears, anxiety rising as he anticipated whether or not Rose would still be here.

Flinging the door open, his face instantly hardened at the empty room. It was silent around him, way too silent. His heart seemed as if it would jump out his chest at any given moment.

Why?

Why did she leave him again?

Was he so unloveable that she couldn't stand to be near him?

Thoughts ran through Klaus' mind before he shook his head. That was his younger self speaking. The one who's mommy died, who was afraid to be alone, who had abandonment issues.

He pushed all that down. He wasn't going to be irrational about this. He had to be smart. Like hell he'd let Rose just get away from him. He would drag her ass back into this house and chain her here if he needed to. Cut her legs off to keep her from running. Anything just to keep her with him.

The man took a breath, his head finally starting to clear. He'd be damned if he just let this go. He was getting her back, and killing anyone who tried to stop him.

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

I shot awake, my breath erratic and fleeting as sweat rolled down my back. I looked around in the darkness, calming myself as I noted we were still in the trailer. Jasper and Hans lay in the bed quietly above me, breathing so softly I'm almost not able to hear it.

Speaking of not being able to hear it, I shouldn't be able to hear them. I pressed my hand on the metal wall of the trailer, frowning at the fact that I couldn't feel any vibrations. The trailer just sat, still, unmoving, and that unnerved me.

I slipped out the bed, my feet hitting a plush rug that was way too big to be in here. It was faux fur, the softness almost calling me to lay back down, but the sinking feeling in my stomach kept me up.

I quietly grabbed the bag Eva had given us, I gulped pulling out the hand gun she stashed in there. Just as I had it fully in grasp I could hear voices. Not one, but multiple and they were having a full blown heated argument.

The entire thing was in German, but one word caught my attention. One of the voices said my name, it was the only thing I could catch before I lost it. Picking up the bag off the floor, I slung it around my shoulder. Maybe I should wake Jasper and Hans but I was the adult here.

Even if they know what they're doing I'm not going to let two little boys protect me. I glanced at the windows in the roof. It was still open, I eyed them carefully. They were okay sized, I'd have to shimmy and be careful but I could definitely fit through if I tried.

There was a door on the back of the trailer but the handle on the inside is hidden. Searching in the dark by tracing my hand along the wall seems like a bad idea. If they opened the door I'd be spotted immediately, plus they would have the upper hand.

I snuck over to the chair, placing it on the carpet, under the windows. Boosting myself up I growled in frustration as the opening was just out of grasp. In this moment I hated with all that was in me the fact that I was born short.

The voices were even closer now, sounding only a few feet from being directly outside the trailer. I sucked in a breath, praying that I could make it, before jumping up, my fingers grasping at the edge, struggling to pull myself up. The voices ceased and my heart dropped.

Could they hear me from here?

I worried, struggling to hold on, half my body still hanging through the roof. Maybe in high-school and college I should have done more pull-ups. My upper body strength was complete crap.

Letting out a breath when they continued whispering, I clambered as gracefully as possible to the roof. My eyes had to adjust as I laid flat, struggling to quietly regulate my harsh breaths. It was still dark outside, though not pitch black. We were even deeper into the rural areas wherever the hell we were. All I could see was a very long road that stretched out before us. I turned, inching forward to the edge as I peeked over.

Three dark forms were all I could see talking angrily. I couldn't tell much about them, because I couldn't see, but none of them looked like the driver. They weren't stout or small.

I gripped the gun tighter as the one speaking the loudest gestured to the trailer. The other man whispered angrily back. I paused, I counted three guys but why was I only seeing two?

The trailer creaked. I knew that sound. It was the door opening. Scrambling to get off, I dropped off the other side of it, almost breaking my leg on the hard ground in the process. I bit my lip, getting up as quickly as I could while rushing over. The man had opened the door and was about to take a step in when I called out.

"Back the hell away." My voice didn't waver. I held the gun in my sweaty palms, the slight fear that it would slip out prominent in my thoughts.

"You're Rose, aren't you?" His voice was haughty. "Just put the gun down sweetheart, come here and we can do this the easy way."

I stood stock still, "Get away from the kids."

The man let out a breath, a chuckle, like he couldn't believe I was ordering him around. "We both know you wouldn't hurt me, now come here before I kill those fuc-"

Bang!

A shot rang out, hitting the man right in the chest. It was a second of disbelief, his body stumbled before it fell to the ground. The force of the gun shocked me.

I killed him.

I killed someone!

My head was spinning but as I heard the other two men coming around the trailer, even in the shocked cationic state I was in, I cocked the gun.

No one and I mean no one was going to stop me. They would have to die trying.

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

A/N: I just had to update early because omg this book hit 63k!

Thank y'all so much for reading this far, enjoying it, commenting, liking, everything! It means so much more than y'all know.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Rose finally is bout that action, Luciano's on his way, and it's finna get wild(er) than it's been🤣.