Chapter 13

The rest of the ride was much less dramatic. It gave me time to think about my next steps and finally to come to terms with what was happening.

As I stepped off the train, I looked around for Luciano. I chewed on my lip furiously, stuck in my thoughts.

Something isn't right.

I felt someone's eyes on me, a creeping feeling like I was being followed. Moving slightly faster, I wobbled a little in the heels on my feet.

I don't like this.

Making a move for my bag, I turned as soon as my hand was grabbed. Out of reflex I used my free hand to punch forward. While the stranger grabbed that hand, I kicked my leg out, striking behind his knee and pushing hard. He fell to the ground, me straddling him, my forearm to his throat.

"I like you in this position."

Luciano's face looked back at me and I blinked in surprise. "S-Sorry!" Scrambling to stand up I paused as his hands grabbed my waist.

"Take a deep breath tesoro, now calm down and then get up." I did as instructed, my heart slowing down from its erratic beating.

Standing slowly, I helped Luc up along with me. "I didn't know you knew how to fight?" He questioned me, a smile on his face.

Pushing my hair back behind my ear I shrugged, "Guess there's a few things you don't know. Come on, we've gotta get going."

I don't feel too good about this place.

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

Catania was a beautiful port side city in Sicily, Italy. I actually had plans to come here with Matteo before all this happened, instead I was stuck with Luciano.

I watched his profile as I walked, more like dragged, behind him. His face was hard. Like it was cut out of stone , ragged and rough. He strode about while exuding confidence.

I looked down at our joined hands, or rather his hand that completely enveloped mine, and sighed. We'd been going around like this for almost an hour.

Luciano claimed he knew the place like the back of his hand and as such, we would take the back streets to our next location.

"Luc." I finally decided to break the tense silence but was met with nothing. Instead of responding, I felt a slight squeeze on my hand.

Is that silent speak for talk?

"I want to know what happened that night. Where everyone is?"

At those words, Luciano paused. It was only for a split second but I caught it. "If I tell you, you'll be in too deep."

I snorted, "Am I not already? I am on the run with you." Silence met me again for a while.

I narrowed my eyes, I couldn't understand why he was being so. . . weird. It was like he was communicating with me without saying a word. He seemed more emotional when he stayed silent, but maybe I was overthinking.

A small boy ran past us, bumping into my injured arm.

"Scusi!" He apologized immediately. I turned to say it was okay when I was met with the muzzle of a gun.

My eyes widened, only registering the toothy grin the boy had on his face as he pulled the trigger.

"Rose!"

Luciano called my name as he tugged hard on my arm, pulling me out the way. He pushed me ahead of him.

"Run!" He barked the order, pushing me hard as another bullet whizzed past my head. I stumbled on the uneven stone but quickly found my footing.

I kicked it in gear, hauling ass to the end of the alley when another figure blocked me. Rather then a gun, he held an embellished knife that glistened menacingly.

"Rose Percy, sorry I'm going to have to cut your time here short." The kid spoke, his voice cracking a bit.

My eye twitched, Since when does the mafia have children assassins?!

"Hah, cute, because you have a knife. Nice one, kid." I managed a response while the boy swung the knife in my direction. I quickly backed up, slipping my bag off my shoulders.

I ducked down as he aimed for my head. Kicking out my leg, I knocked the kid over. I tried to slam the bag on his head but he blocked my blow, rolling out of the way.

As he lunged for me again I evaded the attack. Running as quickly as I could to the end of the alley, I made a sharp turn. Footsteps pounded loud behind me but I didn't turn around.

Sweat fell from my brows in concentration as I breathed how my old gym teacher used to tell me in the mile run.

The straps from my shoes pressed hard into my feet as I cursed myself for wearing heels. Going for the opening, I cried out as a motorcycle came into view, skidding to a stop a few feet ahead of me.

"Hop on!" Luciano urged me, reaching a hand out. My legs felt like jelly, like they would give out any second but I pressed on.

Grabbing onto Luc's hand, he practically swung my on to the vehicle. My arms wrapped around him immediately holding onto him in a vice grip as he zoomed through the streets. I kept my head down as the wind blew loud in my ears, my hair whipping about behind me.

We finally hit the main streets, narrowly missing cars as we made our escape.

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

"I need answers and I need them now, Luciano!" I tried to keep my voice level as I paced around the safe-house.

We were currently hidden away in an underground 'luxury' bunker. I felt like I was in a hotel suite without windows. The floor was marble, their was a living room and kitchenette. I couldn't even count how many rooms there were in this place.

Luciano sat looking all pretty and unbothered as opposed to me, who hasn't been able to stay still lest someone else tries to put a bullet in my head.

"Ask away."

I whirled around at those words, questions ready to leave my mouth.

"Who's trying to kill us?"

"An old friend." He shrugged.

"What happened that night you came to my house?" I took a step closer.

"I was going to an emergency meeting. When I was on my way there a car cut me off." He sighed. "They got me on a dead-end road, unprepared. The 'meeting' was just a means to get me to that location."

I sat down, "Why though?"

Luciano didn't say anything at first, but then he sat up, "To usurp me. I was the Enforcer of the mafia. They didn't agree with my. . . methods."

I froze, my eyes wide as everything Ibrahim told me began to come together. "Oh my gosh. Y-You killed that guy on the radio! Wait, all the murders, that was you?"

He didn't respond.

My heart pounded loud in my chest, I knew he must have done some terrible things but, he mutilated those people. He messed the bodies up until they were unrecognizable.

And the worst part is as I'm looking at him right now, I can see not an ounce of regret in his gleaming eyes. In fact, the rugged grin on his face told me all I needed to know.

"Then. . ." My thoughts trailed off, scrambled as I tried to make sense of everything. "Luciano, you killed your mother, didn't you?"

His face contorted instantly, but before he could speak I heard the oh so familiar sound of a cocking gun.

Turning around, I was met with a face I didn't know I'd missed until I saw it. He dropped the gun as soon as his eyes landed on me.

"Rose?" His eyebrows scrunched together.

"Apollo!" I quickly stood, grinning at the familiar face.

My excitement, however, was short lived as Luciano socked the other man across the face, hissing out the word traitor.