Chapter 7

"Fight or flight?"

My dad stood in front of me, holding his hands out as if he were holding the two choices.

"Isn't it cowardly if you run away?" I asked, but he shook his head.

"Babygirl, you're going to need both in life if you want to survive. You have to run away if you know you can't make it." He rubbed my head affectionately.

"But-" I looked up at him, his callous hand still placed on my head as he bent down to look me in my eyes, "If you know you can, you better give them hell."

"Mom said that's a bad word." My eyes narrowed at him as he snorted, chuckling to himself.

"Well, when we go to give her the flowers this weekend I guess it'll be our secret, okay?" He winked at me but I was still skeptical.

Even when she was dead, I'm sure she was shaking her head at us now. Despite this, I found myself nodding.

"And if anyone tries to mess with you. . . ?" He raised his eyebrow waiting for me to finish the phrase. I let out an internal groan, this was so cheesy!

"Show them that a Rose has thorns."

"That's my girl. Go get 'em."

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

Luciano pressed hard on the gas, the sound of our tires screeching on the pavement ringing in my ears as he shot down the road.

I stayed hunched over, my stomach a swirling mess as he made a sudden turn again. I found my voice, "W-Why are they chasing us?!"

"Business." He gripped the steering wheel tight as he rolled the windows down, "Rose, open the glove department."

I rushed to comply when I saw the glinting metal.

A gun.

I felt even more sick but I swallowed it. Luciano gave me a look, "Take the wheel." He commanded as he reached for it but I shook my head.

All I could hear in my mind was that he'd most likely kill the people following us.

This is a fight or flight kind of moment, Rose. A voice echoed in my head and I took a breath to calm my nerves. Gripping the gun tightly, I leaned out of the window.

I could hear Luciano yelling at me to get back in the car, asking what I was doing but I rested on hand on the inside of the car the other pointing at the vehicle behind us.

I took aim, my hand starting to get slick with sweat from the nerves. The car was nearing us again.

"Bam."

I muttered to myself, pressing down on the trigger. I heard a loud pop! the car suddenly swerving out of control as it lost a tire.

Oh shit I made it! My eyes widened as I got back in the car, flinching as I saw the vehicle veer straight towards a building turning so suddenly, it rolled over onto the side.

I could hear Luciano muttering to himself and I turned towards him. The gun was still in my shaking hands but I gripped it tight. For a second, my vision went blurry.

"Rose. Rose!" Luciano called my name, snapping me out of my stupor.

"Y-Yes?"

"I know you're scared right now, but I'm going to drop you off at home."

"What about you?" I shook my head quickly but even in this situation Luciano smirked.

"You worried about me, babe?" He let out a laugh while I glared. "Is this really the time to make jokes?"