Chapter 19

Immediately my hands were up.

"Well look who decided to just drop in." Maxim grinned at me jerking the gun towards him. "Stand up."

I hesitated for a second.

"I said stand up." His voice left no room for debate as I got on my feet. He dragged me from around the divider before he pushed me to the ground.

I scrambled up, but as soon as I did my arms were behind my back. A cool metal was pressed to my back as I was judged towards the door.

They tied me up in his office.

My wrists ached from the rough rope and my legs hurt but strangely I had yet to freak out.

I was surprisingly calm and I wasn't sure why. Maybe it was my minds denial of the fact that I was most likely about to die a horrifying and very painful death. My body would be so mutilated they won't be able to recognize me.

Shaking my head, I tried to tuck away the dark thoughts. I couldn't afford to give up yet.

Im not sure how long I sat in the room, but it had to be for over an hour.

Maxim still hadn't come to see me yet and I was starting to think they might just let me go insane as I anticipated my upcoming doom.

Just as I was thinking about my waning insanity, the door slowly opened. It was Maxim, fixing his cuffs and walking in looking uninterested. He had blood all over his suit, and as he gazed at me like I was the scum of the Earth, I found myself not being able to look away.

Out of the silence he laughed.

It sent a shiver down my spine, my heart pounding. He stepped closer to me, bending down to look at my face. Maxim's coal black eyes almost made him look like a monster as he stared at me.

"So, you're his toy." He placed a hand on my cheek and I quickly moved from its rough touch. He scowled but didn't make another move to touch me as he stood back. "Where's Luciano?"

I looked at him silently, nothing coming out.

Maxim's face contorted and faster than I was even able to register, he flew at me, his hand smack me across my face so hard my chair would have fallen over had he not roughly grabbed me by my hair.

I screamed as his grip became tight and he roughly tugged, knocking my chair back upright, yanking my head back in the process.

"Ohohoho." He hummed lightly, his fingers tracing the lines of my neck, pressing down in the middle crushing my air pipe.

I struggled in my seat for breath, while Maxim watched me a certain hardness in his eyes.

As my eyes began to roll back, he suddenly let me go, shoving my head forward. I hacked, my throat sore and eyes watery. Coming around me, he leaned on his desk his eyes aglow with fire.

"When I ask you something, speak. I don't really like to waste time, so you'd do well to remember that."

The tears fell from my eyes as my hands clenched and I nodded. "Yes." The word came out hoarse and harsh.

He smirked, turning his back on me, placing a gas mask on. Grabbing a small vial he stood in front of me.

"Do you know what this is?" His voice came out muffled as he questioned me. I shook my head, afraid of him hitting me again. He raised an eyebrow, "Good girl. As a doctor I'm sure your familiar with Devil's Breath?"

I froze, my eyes widening while Maxim's smile got bigger.

"I see you know it. It's funny how a flower could be so dangerous, isn't it?" He got closer, shaking the vile slightly.