Chapter 20

"It's dead."

Luciano's tiny voice reached his father's ears as the man turned around. His sons steel eyes were trained on the very still, feathered creature in his outstretched hands.

He raised an eyebrow, "Did you do that?"

The boy didn't respond. Instead he continued to stare at the bird. His father sighed, "Luciano."

Finally, he looked at the man. "Are you upset?" He asked his son.

"Its dead." The boy emphasized as he stretched his arms out further, showing the creature in his palms.

Nero Vinetti only sighed. His son had always been a quiet boy who had few words to speak. He was a little off but he loved him unconditionally nonetheless.

Luciano had a 'thing' when it came to death, which is why Nero tried to encourage the detachment of the boys emotions. If he was to become the Don when he grew up, it would be easier for him to just have these lessons already learned. The only issue is when something dies, Luciano becomes even more of a reclusive. Not quite sad, but he seems to go within himself.

Like he pities it but can't comprehend or even communicate his feelings. This was something Nero needed to fix.

"Everything and everyone dies eventually." Luciano's father told him sternly as he placed a large hand on his sons shoulder. "It was just a bird anyways, it's life was meaningless in the end. Always remember that it can be replaced."

He sighed, "But Apollo will be sad."

"Well, we can get him an even better one and he won't know the difference. Now come on, it's time for training."

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

As soon as I opened my eyes, I knew I was going to be pissed off.

My body felt heavy, my head was foggy and for whatever reason, Rose was nowhere to be seen. I lifted myself off the couch, eyes scanning the scene of empty bottles and somewhat full glasses on the table in front of me for some clue of what happened last night.

Apollo laid, spread out all over the couch snoring quietly. I frowned, how did we both end up sleeping in the living room?

Forcing myself to stand, I bent over immediately taking a few breaths. The room swam like I was looking at it through a drunk lens.

Or maybe I was coming off of being drunk and had a hangover? Either way, it wasn't a great feeling.

"Apollo." When I could finally stand straight I tried calling his name but he didn't move. He always was a heavy sleeper. My hand went across his but he didn't stir.

I sighed, smacking him harder, "Apollo!" I said louder, my patience already wearing thin.

Grumbling I finally balled my fist and tried again.

"FUC-Luciano!" He jolted awake grabbing at his face as he glared at me. "Did you really have to punch me in my nose?"

"I needed you to wake up. Listen, Rose is gone. I think she drugged us and went to Maxim's last night." Immediately his face turned serious.

"You don't think she got caught?"

"If she's not back, I know she did. Besides she wouldn't leave without saying anything to me." I pointed out. Rose wouldn't just abandon me willingly after all we've been through.

Which means someone took her from us, and now we were going to have to get her back.

Apollo groaned, sitting up on the couch and rubbing his neck. "Things couldn't get any worse, could they?"