Chapter 23.5

Chapter 23.5 Childhood memories

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

Rose.

"James, it hurts." The woman wheezed as her husband held her hand tightly.

"I know my love, just give it a second. You can do this." He encouraged her, urging her to hold on as their daughter watched the interaction from the overly padded chair.

Rose didn't know exactly what was happening, only that her mother was in pain. And knowing this, made the young girl's heart hurt in return.

She stayed silent, watching quietly as her father held her until she fell into a troubled sleep. She was getting worse and worse after the accident. The doctors wouldn't consent to raising her medication dosage and now her mother was always in pain.

The couple struggled to find something to help, but they both knew the dangers of trusting strangers.

"Hm." Rose's face scrunched, she watched her mothers chest rise and fall as she breathed shallow breaths. Her father had left to get food, leaving her alone in the room.

A quick knock hit the door before it cracked open. It was one of the nurses checking in.

"Oh. . ." She looked surprised to see Rose sitting next to her mother at first. "Where's your daddy at?" She bent down to ask the girl who crossed her arms.

"He went to get food." She answered, looking away from the woman's protruding gaze.

"Hm, and he left you alone?"

She nodded in response.

"Well, you must be bored in here by yourself, shouldn't you be at school?" She smiled at the young girl who narrowed her eyes.

"My momma tells me when adults start asking too many questions it's 'cause they nosy and can't mind they own business." Rose said this in a matter-of-fact tone.

The nurse blinked rapidly. "E-Excuse me? That's not a very nice thing to say." Her voice wavered but the little girl rolled her eyes.

"Well you shouldn't ask so many questions. That's not a very nice thing to do."

Before she could respond Briar Percy stirred. Rose immediately glared at the nurse, "If you keep talking you're gonna wake momma up!" She whispered harshly.

The two females had a stare off before the nurse finally left the room making the young girl sigh. When she turned to the bed she saw her mother silently laughing.

"Little girl, why are you talking crazy to that woman?" Bria chuckled as Rose scowled.

"I didn't want her to wake you up, you're supposed to get rest so you can feel better." The girl huffed as she sank in her chair, arms folded, brow set in a straight low line.

She could still hear her mother laughing but she didn't move. Rose focused on pouting until she felt a poke in her side. "H-Hey!" She protested but it persisted until she was in a fit of giggles like her mom.

"Come on, come on!" Bria pulled Rose into the bed next to her, wrapping her arms around the child. "Ahh, that's better. You know what heals me quicker than being asleep?"

"What?" The little girl leveled her curious gaze on her mother who hugged her tighter.

"Being around the people I love the most! Mmmm." She squeezed tight. "Ah~ I feel better already. Now when your dad gets in here I'll be better in no time baby girl."