Chapter 34

"Dad-"

Rose started to speak but her father raised his hand to silence her.

"Just. . . give me a moment, okay?" There were so many things wrong in this situation. So many things parenting books and Super Nanny never taught him.

The woman sat in a solemn silence, her eyes downcast as she played with the end of her shirt. Why did she feel like a little girl again being lectured by her dad?

This was all Luciano's fault for jumping into the conversation.

James was beyond pissed at what Rose had told him, but what set him off even more is when Luciano jumped into the conversation.

"I hope we can learn to get along, father-in-law." Luciano spoke up as she froze, mouth agape.

I know he did not just-

"Excuse me?!" Her father yelled, looking as if he were about to bust a blood vessel.

Jasper and Hans watched silently as the two yelled back and forth. Apollo just scratched his head. The woman quickly intervened.

"He didn't mean that-"

"Of course I did." Luciano said matter-of-factly while she turned to glare at him.

"No, you didn't. Dad-"

He cut her off, "We need to talk."

She had to admit, it is embarrassing to still be lectured about boys by her father as a grown woman. At the same time, Luciano isn't the typical 'bad boy' she was always warned against.

"I want you to go home." Rose spoke up, breaking the silence between them.

Instantly he frowned. "I'm not leaving you here by yourself with these psychopaths."

She sighed, "It's not safe here for you. Also, since you went missing we've both made news headlines around the world." He didn't say anything as she pressed on.

"I need you to put out that fire, while I finish up here. I'll make it back home, I swear." Her words were met with silence.

James Percy sat there before sighing. "I don't know everything that happened to you these past few months, but you've changed, Rose."

She didn't respond. He wasn't wrong about that, what could she say?

There were a few beats of silence before he finally spoke again, his next words hitting her hard.

"Just don't become the monsters you're fighting."

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

The words ran through her mind constantly.

For her to turn out like Klaus and Mr. Vinetti? That was unlikely.

Rose shook her head, muttering to herself, "Everything I've done to this point has been self defense."

"But it won't be anymore if you go after Chiara."

"Agh!" Rose whirled in surprise, jumping back from the figure that snuck up on her.

Hans stood there with a blank facial expression as usual, just watching her with low eyes.

She instantly relaxed at the sight of him, "Hans, you can't sneak up on people like that! Where's Jasper?" She didn't see the older boy anywhere, the two were normally inseparable.

He simply shrugged before asking another question, "Are we. . ."

He trailed off, face scrunching up as he struggled to speak. "-going to stay with you?"