Chapter 15

Fate had a funny way of working out.

Out of all my friends, I would say I might've been the most plain. Everyone had something outstanding about them, and sure I was smart, but who isn't?

Point being, I always hoped for something exciting to happen to me, and while this wasn't what the magical world of Wattpad books in my youth had promised, it was pretty damn close.

The only thing I wish would've carried over from those books to me, would happen to be the loving but somewhat distant parent that doesn't really appear until the end of the story when everything is already resolved.

But this was real life, so of course I wasn't that lucky.

"Daddy!" I made my voice sound as light as possible but flinched as soon as my father spoke.

"Rose?! Is that you?? I've been trying to get ahold of you for days! Had me 'bout to cross the Pacific Ocean to come get you!" His southern drawl showed itself and I sniffed. It's only been a few days since we last talked but damn I missed my dad.

"It's the Atlantic Ocean, dad." I chuckled but he obviously didn't find anything funny as he responded.

"It's the imma-whoop-your-ass-ic Ocean if you pull some crap like that again." The comeback was immediate. Black parents always found a way to turn what you said back on yourself.

"So, about me coming back home. . ." I trailed off and my father, being the petty man he is, didn't say anything.

I rolled my eyes, playing with a lock of hair, "Something came up again, so I won't be back for a while."

Turning around to face Luciano and Apollo, both of them stared at me. I gave a small wave before turning to the side, facing one of the intricately decorated walls.

My dad still hadn't said anything and the anxiety was building in my stomach. I perked up as I heard him begin to speak.

"Is it a boy?" His heavy tone made me gasp.

"W-No! No, it's not a boy, geez dad." I quickly tried to dispel the idea but from his sniffling on the phone I already knew he had it set in his mind.

I whirled around at the sound of a snort, glaring at Apollo who had a hand over his mouth in an attempt not to laugh. Narrowing my eyes at him, I held my fist up.

"It's fine. I knew you'd find someone sooner or later, after all who wouldn't love my amazing daughter." He choked up and I flinched.

The thing about my father is he was one for theatrics and as a daddy's girl, even though I knew this, I couldn't help but fall for it every time.

I could feel myself walking into his trap, I needed to hurry up and end the conversation before he got me. "Stop it! You act like I'm not coming home."

"Well. . ." He held out the word. "You're not in any trouble are you?"

He knows somethings wrong.

"Psh, what? No! I'm just helping out a friend."

I turned at the sound of a grunt, Luciano looked annoyed as he turned away from me and Apollo held in another laugh.

"In that case-"

I faced away from the two, listening intently to what my dad had to say.

"I hope you don't mind if I come to visit."

Shit.

~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~{}~

"Again. Concentrate."