forty-two

//: ending chapter (it's long)

[ third pov ]

jaehyun fell to the floor and his gun dropped beside him. hansol's eyes widened in fear as he grabbed his pistol from underneath his desk, pointing it towards his enemies. "don't come near me or i'll shoot." he warned as he slowly backed towards the other exit.

mark side glanced at renjun who shook his head. they watched him run out the door with a suitcase in a hurry, leaving jaehyun by himself. "well, what a great boss you have." johnny sneered as he kicked the gun away from the younger's reach. it slid underneath the table as jaehyun cursed underneath his breath. "what do you want?"

johnny shrugged as he turned around to ask taeyong who faced jaehyun. "i don't need anything from you." the older added as he wrapped an arm around haechan, pulling him up from the chair. they all turned to leave but stopped mid-way when jaehyun talked.

"he's not planning to let you guys out here alive. they set up bombs in the whole place. there's not much time. go to the highest floor, there should be a room with a timer. use this and cut either the 1st or last wire to deactivate it."

jaehyun passed over a wore cutter to mark who took it and placed it inside his pocket. he reached down to help jaehyun up but the older refused. "leave me, i deserve this." upon hearing that, taeyong turned away. the rest looked unsure of what to do.

"we appreciate the help. thank you, jaehyun." those were the last words the two exchanged before the boys quickly ran out of the office, leaving jaehyun behind. "where are the others?" the boys stopped to take a breather.

"they're all here dealing with hansol's men. renjun and i left to find haechan." mark explained; he stared at taeyong before walking forward and giving him a quick hug. "i'm glad you're okay. i knew you wouldn't die on us." the older chuckled as he lightly pulled away.

"i won't leave you behind that easily, mark." they shared a warm moment which was quickly interrupted by renjun. "we can do this later, for now we have to focus on deactivating that bomb and getting out." they all nodded in agreement.

"johnny and i will go find the others, you guys go find that  room." taeyong instructed, leaving no time for any objections. haechan turned to mark who lightly held his hand. "follow me, okay?" he nodded and the three boys took off running to the directions of the stairs.

"haechan! mark! renjun!" a voice called in front of them. they turned their heads and saw two familiar faces. jeno and jaemin. they just finished knocking down majority of the men in the room.

they stopped as the two boys ran to catch up to them. as quickly as he could, renjun explained the plan as they agreed. it was decided that mark, renjun, and jeno would go upstairs to disable the bombs and  jaemin would be in charge of getting haechan to his safety.

"i don't want to leave you here!" haechan protested as jaemin dragged him away. mark frowned as he watched the younger struggle
to come back. "mark lee! i swear
to god, your ass better come back alive!" he shouted loudly as they turned the corner.

mark sighed sadly before he continued running towards the stairs with jeno and renjun by his side.

•••

"hey chenle!" jisung yelled as he knocked down a couple of enemies.

"yeah jisung!" chenle shouted back to his partner. they were both at opposite ends of the room but they still managed to find each other's voices. "if anything were to happen to us and we don't make it out of here, i just wanted to tell you that you're the coolest best friend i've ever had." the younger yelled at the older. they fought against their tears and clenched their fists.