♕ III ♕

♕♕♕

My Lord, that actually worked.

I can't fathom that our plan is actually working, not even when we've passed through the doors to the outside world receiving zero second glances from the security behind us. Niall joins me at my side, placing his hand on the small of my back as he leads me towards the gates as I smile so wide my cheeks burn. We follow the rest of the staff exiting the gates and slide through to the high street without issue, my smile only growing as our distance did. I can feel my heart beating practically out of my chest with every step we take. I feel as if I may explode.

"I can't believe -"

"I know."

Niall's hand continues to rests on my back as we walk along the pavement towards, what I'm guessing is, the nearest train station. We walk for quite some time, in silence, before we reach a sign reading Weybridge Station, I sigh contently, my excitement growing. Never have I taken the train, or the tube, so I'm both excited and nervous at the same time, pretty much the same emotions I've been up until this point.

"You're not going to leave me, are you?"

I know I said I wanted to go on this adventure alone, but now that I'm here and out in the world, I'm a bit scared to be left on my own. I suppose having Niall by my side for the time being wouldn't be so bad; at least I'm not surrounded by upwards of five men trying to block out everything and everyone around me. Hopefully he won't leave me at least until we're in London, if not I may end up in Scotland by accident. Navigation is not my strong suit.

"I won't leave your side until you specifically instruct me to do so, your highness."

"You probably shouldn't call me that outside the palace walls."

"You are probably correct."

Niall and I enter the station without another word to each other, but once we reach the lobby of the station with signs directing us towards different platforms he begins to speak again.

"Here's your ticket." He slides a piece of paper into my hands and continues to look around as if searching for possible threats towards my safety. "I took the liberty of purchasing a round trip ticket for us both. Our train to return to Weybridge is tomorrow at eight am. You must meet me at the station by seven-forty-five to ensure we make the train on time. We can't miss it. We're already pushing the boundaries of how long we can have you out of the palace for and if they haven't noticed your absence by then, they surely will if you miss breakfast."

My mother likes us to eat breakfast with her around eight-forty-five in the morning. Usually it's just Violet and I, as Gwen is either out of the palace by then or still in bed and my father is already working. If Niall and I play our cards right and the train isn't late, we should make it to the palace just in time for me to make my appearance at breakfast. If I don't I know my mother will send someone to come after me.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm not entirely sure." I honestly admit. "Whilst I feel truly happy to be free for the first time, I still have an overwhelming and over-present feeling of anxiety. I suppose I figured I'd feel this way." Niall stops me short in the lobby of the station, pulling me to the edge of the corridor and away from listening ears.

"We can always turn back; you don't have to do this, Mabel." I shake my head, taking a deep breath and examining the ticket in my hand. The departure time is approaching quickly and if we delay any longer we'll miss our train. "I won't judge you for wanting to go home. You're my friend Mabel, and what you says go."

"When have I ever been the one to give up?"

Forty minutes and an extremely thrilling train ride later, the train pulls into Waterloo Station. If it weren't for Niall's overbearing presence I would have run off the train as soon as it slowed to a crawl. My anxiety, whilst still present, had taken a back seat to the excitement that was bubbling up in my gut. So as soon as we pulled in to a complete stop, I dragged Niall off the train in a flash.