♕ VIII ♕

♕♕♕

"Are you out of your gøddåmn mind?"

I had pulled myself together on the ride back to the palace, drying my falling tears and fixing my mess of an appearance in preparation with being faced with at least one of my parents. Long gone was the black wig, which had to be pried off my scalp with the help of Niall because of the impeccable wig glue Charlotte purchased. The faux eyeglasses had been stuffed into the small cross-body handbag in the car, out of sight and out of mind. All that remained after the "disguise" was, and still is, a blotchy-faced woman in an incredible amount of trouble with her father.

As soon as Niall and I arrived at the palace we were both escorted to my father's office by the guards that had showed up outside Harry's building. There was no time to change and no time to prepare for what was to come, my father wanted to see us immediately. We waited only a minute in silence before my father entered with my mother and our head of security, Thomas Papier, in tow.

They didn't say anything for a long time, just giving us both silent glares of disappointment and anger. My father took his rightful seat behind his desk, whilst my mother and Mr. Papier stood on either sides of him. I knew we were in deep trouble and no one had even said anything, the auro was just there and it was yelling. You could just feel the anger, the silence saying more than enough already. When my father did start yelling, I didn't jump in fright, I welcomed the volume because I knew it was coming.

"What drove you to do such a reckless and dangerous thing, Mabel? When did you think it was appropriate to disobey strict orders, put in place for your safety, just so you could have a little fun? Do you have any idea the consequences of your little rendezvous? You put yourself in blatant danger, threatened your reputation, and for what, a night out of the palace?"

Literal smoke was escaping my father's ears and with each and every word he viciously spoke his face grew redder and redder from the lack of oxygen. If I didn't know any better I'd think he'd strike me, but my father isn't a violent man, or so I think.

"And you..."

My father's attention shifts to the man standing at my left and I begin to feel less calm than I did a few moments ago. I know my father and I know what he'll do to Niall, and I most definitely do not want that on my conscious. He can be as angry as he wants with me, but not Niall, not someone I care so deeply about.

"Stop!" For the first time since I was a teen, I raise my voice at my father. He and my mother look absolutely shocked by my sudden outburst, eyes wide and jaws gaping. "This is my fault. I begged Niall, hęll, I practically forced him into committing this frowned upon act. He was merely there to make sure I was not harmed and that I didn't do anything stupid. I didn't give him a choice in the matter; I ordered him to go along with me. If anyone is to be punished it's I, father."

Everyone is silent for a moment, my father glancing between Niall and I. Niall remains frozen, face flush of any emotion and his posture rigid as he stands at my side, eyes cast forward at no one in particular. My father seems to debate the options in his head as he stares us down, his face void, not giving me any hints as to where he's leaning on the matter.

"Is that true?" I swallow the lump that's formed in the back of my throat as we wait in silence for Niall's answer. I've never paid much mind to religion in the past, but I'm praying now, as if I've been a true believer since birth, that Niall goes along with my words.

Say yes, Niall; say it.

"Yes, your majesty." A sigh of relief leaves my lips at his answer. I'm glad he didn't decide to be the bigger man and take all the blame. I can handle my father's wrath and punishment, as for Niall I don't want him fired, or possibly imprisoned.