10: All Alone

"Excuse me?" You asked, appalled at the question.
  "You of all people know that whatever it is you took from that statement is dead wrong and quite frankly disgusting. You wanted to talk, so let's talk. Follow me." Levi explained and demanded once more. That man never ceased to surprise you.
  "What exactly will we be talking about?" You questioned while you followed behind him to his room. You chose to be cryptic, even though you already figured what the talk was pertaining to.
  "Really? You know damn well what it is." He responded, aggravated.
  "Fair enough, but why now?" You asked, curious. Levi didn't answer. Instead, he opened his bedroom door and allowed you inside before himself. He closed the door behind him.
  "I need you to be at your best. You constantly reeling about how I never opened up to you about my past is going to result in you being seriously injured or even killed if you can't keep your mind clear." Levi discussed bluntly.
  "Woah, woah woah; hold on. You seriously have this idea that I go every hour of the day thinking about that non-stop to the point where it effects my work? Conceited much?" You asked, offended that he would think such a thing.
  "I don't think, I know." Levi answered coldly, giving you a glare.
  "You're dense." You responded while laughing.
  "Pardon?" Levi tilted his head at you slightly. He wasn't appreciative of your challenging tone.
  "You heard me, I do not go every hour of the day or even every day thinking about that. All that is to me now is an annoying inconvenience." You mentioned, lying slightly. The memory of that day would come and go, but it certainly never interfered with your work or training.
  "Inconvenience? Is that why you tense up and become silent every time you see me in the same room as you?" Levi responded. Damn his observational skills. You thought to yourself while gritting down on your teeth.
  "Is this gonna be an interrogation? Because if it is, I'll gladly let myself out. I have training early in the morning." You crossed your arms, scowling at Levi intently.
  "You asked me to tell you why I was talking to you about this all of a sudden and that's what I'm doing. Just like how you decided all on your own that we would never talk. You expect me to beg you for forgiveness all because I decide to keep a certain part of my life private? That's selfish. I think you're the one who's conceited to expect that of me." Levi spoke harshly, causing you to shoot your head back slightly with a look of contempt.
  "I shared pretty much everything with you." You were furious at his statements, but still spoke in a damaged tone.
  "That's what you chose to do on your own. I didn't force it out of you or expect it from you." He responded, an icy rudeness in his voice.
  "Bullshit! Regardless of whether or not I wanted to talk about it, I wouldn't have had a choice in the matter, unless I wanted to end up back in that shithole we both grew up in. You made me believe that there was no one in the Survey Corps that could possibly relate to me, and all along it was you." You clenched your fist with a tense jaw as you argued.
  "I didn't make you believe anything, Y/N. That was all your own thinking." You could tell that Levi was purposely being untruthful. His attempts at manipulating the situation to his favor wasn't working, and he of all people knew it wouldn't work on you. So why? You asked yourself.
  "Like hell it was! If you can't take any responsibility for this than why am I even here? It doesn't matter whether you wanted to keep your past private, you should've at least just said you were from the Underground and left it at that. That would've been perfectly fine." You explained, infuriated.
  "That would've just opened up the possibility that I would share my life with you and that's not at all my intention. What does it matter to you? What kind of redemption or ease does me telling you my past give you?" Levi genuinely asked, curious of your possible answer. You stood there for a second, looking at Levi disappointingly. You walked towards Levi in order to leave. Levi placed his arm across the door to meet the frame, blocking you from leaving. You looked down at the knob on the door as you gently grabbed hold of it.
  "It wouldn't have given me anything, Levi. It would've just been nice to know I wasn't all alone." You looked at Levi, tears welling up in your eyes. Your voice was choked, desperately trying hard not to break down in front of him. You took a deep breath through your nose before continuing.
  "Is that a good enough answer for you?" You asked, staring at Levi with a blank expression.
  "I'm sorry if this wasted your time, but I don't think you'll need to worry about me not concentrating on my job anymore. I don't need to know anything about you, so just act like I never brought it up. Let's pretend like we never shared anything with each other." You explained, clearly hurt by Levi's behavior. You had actually thought he was someone you could look to for consolation, but you told yourself that you were dead wrong. Levi slowly removed his arm from the door frame, allowing you to leave. He was defeated by your words, still not showing much emotion. You could sense in him that what you stated hit a nerve, yet he chose to remain silent.
  "Goodnight, Captain." You said formally, indicating your stance on Levi. He blankly stared at the wall across his room, closing the door after you had left.