18: Starry Night

"Hi." You gave Levi a simple greeting. The tone of his voice sounded as if he were annoyed, but once you turned to face him, he harbored a relaxed expression. You looked over at Eren, and he seemed on edge. Typical for him to be terrified of Levi but it still left you wondering as to why he was afraid. You casted it off as Eren just being the type of guy to be easily scared by people who have an obvious clash with his personality. When it came to Eren and Levi, they were complete opposites.
"I'd like to speak with you alone, if that's okay?" Levi asked. His tone was polite. You grinned.
"Yeah, definitely. We were actually about to say goodbye." You clarified, looking over at Eren again. He nodded his head.
"Yeah, I'll see you another time, Y/N." Eren smiled at you, then turned his head towards Levi.
"Good evening, Captain. See you tomorrow." Eren awkwardly saluted Levi, making you cover your mouth to stifle your laugh. Eren walked off, heading back to headquarters. Levi headed up the grassy hill to greet you.
"How was it?" Levi cryptically asked. You furrowed your eyebrows and tilted your head out of genuine confusion.
"Your day, how was it?" Levi explained further, making you mentally smack yourself on the forehead for not understanding his original question.
"Oh." You elongated your expression as you spoke, slightly embarrassed of yourself.
"It was really great, actually. Very relaxing; we walked through the forest and told some stories." You happily explained to Levi. He admired how ecstatic you sounded when talking about the topic. Levi continued to stare at you. His eyes beaming at you as the day became darker with every passing minute was unnerving, yet flattering at the same time.
"How was your day? Busy, I bet." You laughed, desperately trying to shift the attention off of you.
"You could say that. I've been buried in paperwork and Hanji came in to talk my ear off just as I was nearly finished." Levi spoke with irritation. You chuckled at his frustration, causing him to relax at your simple reaction.
"What were you and Eren talking about that had you on edge?" He questioned while he walked passed you towards the direction that you and Eren came from. You were confused, but still followed after him.
"It was kind of embarrassing, actually." You laughed nervously, averting your eyes away from Levi once he turned to face you again. He didn't respond, but just continued to look at you. You bit the inside of your cheek out of nervous habit.
"He and I were talking about you and I made a joking remark about how we weren't dating." You admitted. Levi seemed annoyed at hearing you remind him of the rumors.
"Eren understands completely, so don't worry about it. It was only a joke on my part and I clarified it as well." You reassured Levi.
"What was it that you said?" Levi asked, curiously.
"What?" You panicked.
"You said that you and Eren were talking about me, then you followed it up with joking that we weren't dating. That seems like he was surprised at what you said, as if it gave him some sort of idea." Levi added, assuming correctly without really needing to try. God damn, he's good. You thought to yourself. You could feel your chest becoming engulfed with anxiousness.
"Y/N." Levi sounded impatient, wanting you to be honest with him, but more importantly yourself. You swung your arms around your back and held onto your right wrist with your left hand out of awkwardness.
"I told him that my life would probably still be shitty right now if I didn't have you in it." You admitted, squeezing your wrist. He revealed that minuscule smile again. You exhaled.
"I highly doubt that." Levi seemed so sure of himself, making the assumption that he didn't practically save your life. You gave him a depressing look.
"I don't." You simply said. He looked away from you for a brief moment.
"Before I met you, my life meant nothing to everyone around me. My life meant nothing even to myself. It was like I was falling for eternity. A never ending abyss of hurt and sorrow. We both already know I hated your guts when we first met." You smiled a little, trying to lighten up the situation a little.
"But you grew on me." You admitted. Your smile grew a bit wider as you looked over at Levi. Both of you found yourselves in the middle of the forest. The sun had gone down and the moon lit your path. In order to cease the awkward silence that you and Levi shared for the passed twenty minutes, you laid down in the grass. He stopped in his tracks, then began to gaze at you.
"This is what we all did today. It's much nicer now that the stars are out." You passionately expressed. You sighed out what felt like a million anxieties being evicted from your body. The calming, silent darkness that was above you had been such a relaxing experience. You noticed Levi still staring at you, guessing that he felt unwelcome.
"Come on, lay down and take a load off. You deserve a break." You patted the empty space next to you. Levi willingly joined in and looked up at the stars with you.
"They're gorgeous." You muttered, smiling at the mesmerizing sight above you. Levi stared at you the entire time, not interested in the view you were so enthralled by.
"You're the only person I've met that I can put up with. The only person other than Erwin and Hanji that I deeply respect." Levi admitted. You looked over at him.
"That's good right?" You asked, feeling a strange uneasiness in your chest over his kind words. His tone sounded so hurt as he spoke.
"Of course it is." He was a bit confused by your question.
"Well, it just seemed like you were sad when you said it." You looked at Levi with a worried expression.
"That's because I don't really understand what I'm feeling. I'm annoyed by you at times and yet I feel like I can never be away from you. I want to protect you." Levi openly shared with you as if it were something people stated every day. His statement completely caught you off guard. His kind, blunt honesty nearly threw you into a whiplash. Your cheeks flushed red, heating up your face. Yet, you were reminded of a time that you desperately wanted to have back.
"You sound like someone I used to know when you say that." You continued to look up at the stars. A smile crept onto your face, before suddenly fading away. Levi was silent, allowing you to continue if you chose to.
"My older brother. His name was Michael." You closed your eyes, envisioning the short-lived happiness you experienced as a young child.
"Was?" Levi questioned, the tone in his voice seemed understanding, while dreading what you would possibly say next.
"He was murdered while trying to protect me." You stated while trying to fight back the sobs. Tears streamed down the sides of your face, leaking down passed your ears, onto the wind struck grass.