46: Hatred Turned to Forgiveness

A/N: This chapter is gonna be SOFT SOFT SOFT!!! No sad!! Nothing sad! Sad is forbidden in this chapter!!!!!! ^.^ Anywhoooo, I just wanted to say hello, hope everyone is doing well; and I also wanted to say that I've dedicated this chapter to 'Learn to Trust' by Bad Suns. This song is a really sweet, upbeat tune that I think is absolutely perfect for this chapter. Enjoy!!! 

*THIS CHAPTER HAS VERY BRIEF ANIME AND MANGA SPOILERS. I DON'T SUGGEST SKIPPING THIS CHAPTER, THOUGH. IT JUST MIGHT BE A TINY BIT CONFUSING TO READ THROUGH SOME OF IT IN THE BEGINNING IF YOU AREN'T UP TO DATE ON THE ANIME OR MANGA YET*

  "Wait, Reiner, Annie and Bertholdt are the Titans that helped destroy Shiganshina?" You questioned, completely unaware. Eren, Mikasa and Armin were making random conversation with you and didn't even realize that you were kept in the dark about such knowledge. Eren immediately took it upon himself to explain.
  "They were, but they were brainwashed by the people they grew up around. They were raised to believe everyone from here were devils that deserved to die. They tried to commit mass genocide against all of us, but later grew to realize they were wrong. They paid for what they did. I on the other hand didn't react in the finest way after discovering what they did and what they were planning to do. But the three of them have changed since that time. I also paid for the things I did and planned to do. I've grown a lot as well. I decided that forgiveness created less of a toll on me and the people I cared about. Fueling myself with hatred got me nowhere. I became no different than the people who thought we were devils. Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt can be trusted. I truly believe that, and they've proven themselves to be trustworthy. Not only that, but I consider them all great freinds." Eren defended as quickly as possible, making you retract the thoughts you were having. It scared you for a moment to think that the people of the Survey Corps would easily forgive anyone who hurt so many people. You took Eren's words to heart in that moment. The smile that appeared on your face shocked Eren. 
  "I believe it too. Sorry that I seemed angered. I just didn't understand their story." The anxiousness you felt was almost unbearable, but you told yourself that being unnecessarily paranoid about your own teammates and underlings was ridiculous after an explanation was already given. You started to slowly unravel from your anxiety, remembering that it made so much sense why Reiner, Annie and Bertholdt did everything they did. You knew that it could be an incredibly difficult task to let go of hate and fear. You couldn't even imagine how horrifying it must have been to hurt the people they were raised to be afraid of. It must have been so conflicting to actively start a war against the people they were taught to hate.
  You all scouted around long enough and decided to meet up at the bell tower. When you arrived, Jean, Reiner, Bertholdt, Sasha, and Annie were already there waiting for everyone else. Reiner was happy to see everyone, as were Jean and Sasha. Bertholdt didn't give much of a reaction, but you could tell that he felt nearly the same. Annie remained stoic and uninterested. You weren't unfazed by her attitude, but actually found yourself relating to her in many ways. Eren even told you once that you always seemed unapproachable before he got to know you. The thought made you laugh. A warmth in your heart started to form after realizing that Reiner and Annie truly seemed like they felt safe and at peace. Reiner, Annie and Bertholdt clearly found their real home. You were deeply happy for them. Not long after meeting up, Levi and Hanji made their way to the rendezvous point as well. 
  "We found the cottage. It's East." Levi stated as soon as you all were together again. Levi giving exact directions like that clearly meant he still wanted everyone to carry on in their original groups, instead of acting as an entire mob, in order to create less suspicion. The Survey Corps had been under enough fire, and with everything that had gone on over the last year, the less attention drawn to everyone was for the better. You all nodded, then dispersed once more, heading off separately until you were out of public view. Once everyone was far enough away from the citizens, you all met up again and headed up to the cottage as one whole group. You couldn't really believe what was happening after all. Levi noticed you were a bit on edge and decided to try and get your mind off of things.
  "Did Eren, Mikasa or Armin give you a hard time?" Levi asked, curious. You smiled and chuckled a little.
  "No, they were all very well behaved." You stated in a goofy tone. Levi shook his head.
  "I know that you're just trying to keep my mind on positive things but it's gonna take a lot more than that. I'll at least try, I suppose." You mentioned honestly. Levi was ready to listen, understanding your point of view in the situation.
  "The three of them have quite the story to tell. As do Reiner, Annie and Bertholdt." You brought up quietly. Levi sighed, knowing exactly what you were talking about.
  "Why wasn't I told anything?" You questioned. You weren't angry at all, simply just curious as to why.
  "I'm not at liberty to discuss the lives or happenings of my soldiers. If they told you out of their own choices, that just means that they trust you. As they should, after all." Levi explained and even managed to slip in a slight compliment on your behalf. You smiled at him, rolling your eyes in the process.
  "Still, before everything about them was explained, I became so angry. It wasn't until Eren mentioned how hatred did nothing for him but bring misery, that I finally understood." You were going to continue after thinking things over. Levi could tell, though he remained silent.
  "After Arthur confirmed that my father was alive and was forced to do all the things he did, I still felt angry. I thought, 'how could a father sit back and help the people who were hurting his own child?'. I couldn't reach inside myself and just think as to why he did what he did. I just felt angry. I used anger as my means to figure out the answer. Doing so made me feel bitter, until I slowly started to understand that even though he continued to do what he did, he did everything in his power to save me. He's the reason why I'm here today. He's the reason I'm alive and because of what he helped do for me, I became a soldier." You smiled, finding yourself at ease. You were grateful for Eren and Mikasa's words. For people so young, they seemed to have known far more than you or Levi when it came to forgiveness and true peace. Levi seemed to agree with you.
  "It took a long time for me to be able to agree with what you and Eren have said. I was raised by a man who needed hobbies in order to survive in the Underground. His hobbies included murder and instilling fear into the people around him. You and I both know what it is to use these tactics in order to survive. Now that we have the lives that we have, everything is different. The soldiers I've come to know have shown me there are better means in order to live a safe life. We have it good and I wouldn't change it for the world. I also wouldn't change getting to know you either." Levi admitted, wholeheartedly, not holding anything back from you. It warmed your heart immensely to hear his side of things.
  "Those six have really opened my eyes and changed the way I've seen things." Levi added, referring to Annie, Reiner, Bertholdt, Mikasa, Eren, and Armin.
  "They've also grown and seen the differences in others and where other people have come from. They're all truly people I can trust. They've all proved it one way or another. I'm grateful to have them on my team and in my life." Levi continued, making you chuckle in realization to something.
  "What's so funny?" Levi asked, curious. He looked at you with softened eyes.
  "You talk about them like they're your kids." You mentioned, making Levi shoot his head back in surprise. He thought to himself for a moment before nodding his head in agreement with you.
  "I guess you could say that." Levi answered with a slight smile on his face.  

  A/N: Wholesome hours!!! That's it.... that's all I wanted to say. I hope this chapter was to your liking. Have a wonderful week and stay safe everyone!!! See you soon! <3333333