42: Scavenger Hunt

A/N: I want to preface this by saying that while my story is in an Alternate Universe, some of what you're about to read (regarding the Titan serum/shifters) is not only heavy spoilers to the AOT/SNK manga and anime, but there is a *certain* mention within this chapter that is NOT canon in the manga or anime. So, read this chapter knowing that what is mentioned is only a part of this story as I've written it out. I also want to mention that I have dedicated this chapter to 'Eden' by Nicholas Britell. I hope you all enjoy reading this week's chapter.

"Even though we assume that she is a Titan shifter, it still doesn't make any bit of sense to me. You can't turn back into a human unless you've eaten a Titan shifter while they're in their human form, so who else did you infect down there?" Hanji was stern, demanding answers.
"Do you honestly think that she was the only person we turned into a Titan? That she was the only recipient to her fathers' discoveries?" Xavier continued, laughing up a storm. Hanji glared at him as he confirmed her suspicions of his motives.
"Then what happened?" You asked, eagerly waiting for him to continue. He turned his head to gaze at you, blinking slowly before he answered. He inhaled deeply in a taunting manner.
"You ate one of the other girls we had in our organization. She was a Titan shifter as well." Xavier spoke, making you nauseous again.
"You crazy son of a bitch." Hanji muttered, sneering at Xavier as she shook her head.
"It's no different than what the lot of you people do. Slaughtering Titans that were once humans too." Xavier revealed. Hanji and Levi clicked their tongues out of annoyance. You rolled your eyes, not allowing Xavier to get the upper hand in the situation.
"You're not going to get a rise out of anyone in this room, Xavier. Act like a civil human being for once in your miserable, shit stain of a life and continue telling me what I want to know." You objected, annoyed with the back and forth games he was trying to play.
"Very well." Xavier's willingness was strange, but you listened, nonetheless.
"We never told you about the Titan serum, as you can clearly tell. You ate the girl, then turned back into a human. Simple." Xavier shrugged, complacent with his poor explanation.
"So, then I'm stuck like this?" You mumbled to yourself, darting your eyes around in deep thought.
"How old are you?" Xavier questioned. Everyone in the room, including yourself were confused by the random question.
"Twenty-six." You answered, not wasting much time. Xavier chuckled.
"You won't have to worry about it in the next year." Xavier continued. You gave him a puzzled expression.
"Titan shifters only live for thirteen years, Y/N." Xavier added, chuckling some more. Your body went numb. A tingling feeling ran throughout your arms and neck. Do I really only have a year left? You found yourself walking out of the room and throwing up on the floor outside the door. Levi followed after, but you had already made your way down the hall. You were headed straight to headquarters in Erwin's office where he kept Xavier's safe. Levi followed you without hesitation, but you were much faster than he was.
"She really couldn't ever handle bad news like that." Xavier stated as Zackley, Erwin and Hanji remained in the room with him.
"Was that young man her little boyfriend? They make a cute couple." Xavier laughed. Hanji and Erwin shook their heads. Hanji smiled at him, walking closer. She crossed her arms, standing in front of him. He had her complete attention.
"You clearly have been in the Underground for far too long. The Titan shifters live much longer than thirteen years, Xavier. The truth behind it was discovered a few years ago by us. They live a normal life span just like the rest of us. Unless sickness or sudden death gets in the way, they really are just like the rest of us." Hanji informed Xavier. He glared at Hanji, not speaking another word on the matter. Hanji was pleased that her statement had actually silenced him. Though, his muteness didn't last long.
"You learn something new every single day, don't you?" Hanji was brought back to her original self, getting ready to leave the room. Erwin followed not long after.
"It will be an honor to watch your execution, Xavier. We'll all be sure to get front row seats." Hanji continued coldly, leaving the room with Erwin. Zackley stayed to finish up some questions that he had for Xavier as well.
"Where did Y/N and Levi go? We need to hurry and tell her the truth. Gah! If she had just waited long enough, she could've heard it for herself the first time around." Hanji was frustrated, hurrying to catch up to where Levi and yourself may have gone. She wasn't as worried upon knowing that Levi was with you, but she hoped he would have the chance to tell you before you did something destructive.
"I agree, I think I may have an idea of where she is." Erwin interjected.
"Her room?" Hanji asked.
"Maybe, but I was thinking that she's most likely headed to my office to open Xavier's safe." Erwin mentioned. Hanji began to hurry even more, leaving Erwin behind.
"Y/N, you can't just break into Erwin's office. How did you get in?" Levi questioned, knowing that Erwin had always kept his office locked up when he wasn't in it.
"You and I both grew up in the Underground and you ask me how I'm able to pick a measly lock?" You mentioned, looking around the room for Xavier's safe.
"Fair enough, but what are you looking for?" Levi continued to ask questions. You didn't respond to him. You were like a rabid animal searching for food. Levi suddenly pulled you away, making you face him.
"Damn it, will you just listen to me. You didn't stay long enough for any of us to explain anything." Levi stated with a raised voice in order for you to listen to what he was trying to say.
"Explain what? That I'm gonna die in a year or maybe even less than that? Move out of my way so I can get Xavier's safe and find out if my dad is actually alive." You tried to push Levi away and release yourself from him, but he didn't budge, nor allow you to move.
"You're not going to die, Y/N. Xavier doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about." Levi interjected, his words had forced you to listen.
"How can you be so sure?" You argued, staring at Levi with a grieving expression.
"We have soldiers who used to be in the Survey Corps that are Titan shifters. They should've died a long time ago, but they didn't. That's when Hanji started more research on the Titan shifters. She discovered that the Titan shifters have the same life span as average humans." What Levi was saying made you relax immensely. Your breathing slowed and your shoulders fell to their natural state.
"The lies that were told about the lives of Titan shifters was finally debunked. It was easy to believe this lie for a long time because almost every Titan shifter that came before Eren and the rest had died, then passed their Titan power onto the recipient. So, it was hard to decide on whether or not they truly had thirteen years or not. All we could do was wait. Eren and yourself are going to live an average life just like the rest of us." Levi finished explaining. You closed your eyes, feeling exhausted.
"I promise, Y/N." Levi muttered, making you open your eyes and look at him again. You beamed at him, feeling a bit relieved. You still shook your head.
"I believe you."  You thought for a moment. You weren't going to distract yourself for why you entered Erwin's office, however.
"I need to open that safe." You sternly voiced to Levi. He stepped to the side, not putting up a fight over it. You gazed at him, slightly surprised.
"I need to find my father if all this is true." You cut right to the chase, not wasting any time. Levi was stunned; he didn't seem to quite understand your need for the closure. If what Xavier stated was really the truth, it would mean that your father betrayed you. Although, Levi nodded, trusting your judgement; after all, he was your father.
"Do you think he's still in the Underground?" Levi asked.
"If he's still alive like Xavier says, then most likely. Maybe he left some sort of clue in his work why he did all of this." You mentioned. Levi was in disbelief. He wasn't ready to assume that your father was completely innocent in everything like you had clearly seemed to think.
"Are you sure that this is a good idea?" Levi asked, concerned with your rash decision making.
"If I sit around wondering, never knowing the truth, I'll go insane. No matter what the answers are, I need to know. There's no way my father is anything like Xavier. Not by a long shot, Levi." You began to raise your voice. It wasn't raised to be directed at Levi, but just a simple outburst of emotions.
"I have to know for sure." You added with a desperate whisper. Levi's face relaxed, sighing.
"He is your father after all. I just want you to be careful and understand what you could be getting yourself into." Levi voiced, making it sound like you were doing it on your own.
"I think we'll both be just fine." You answered, smiling at Levi as you pulled out a large folder filled with heaps of papers piled among each other. Levi's face sort of lit up.
"You're coming with me, right? To the Underground?" You asked, hoping he'd say yes. It donned on you that it wouldn't be a question for him to accept your invitation. It was Levi, after all.
"If that's what you would like." Levi responded, not trying to show much emotion in his answer. You chuckled, shaking your head a little.
"Don't act like you aren't completely overjoyed that I asked you to come with me." You joked, nudging him to the side playfully.

A/N: Once again, the above discussion regarding the life span of Titan shifters is canon ONLY in my story. It's NOT canon in the actual manga/anime series. I hope you all enjoyed reading and I will talk to you all again soon! Have a wonderful day and stay safe!!