13: An Old Tale

A/N: Hello everyone!!! I hope you're all enjoying the story so far. As you've seen in the first few chapters, there will continue to be warnings such as the ones below for specific chapters that need them. I briefly and explicitly describe what the warnings will be, as to not surprise any readers or potentially trigger anyone. I hope this continues to alleviate any worry. Thank you!!

*THIS CHAPTER HAS EXPLICIT/DETAILED DISCUSSIONS OF RAPE AND OTHER ABUSIVE TOPICS THAT SOME READERS MAY FIND TRIGGERING AND/OR TOO GRAPHIC. THERE IS ALSO MENTIONS OF EXPLICIT, CRUDE LANGUAGE, AS WELL AS BRIEF MOMENTS OF YOUR CHARACTER MAKING JOKES OVER HER ABUSE AS A MEANS OF COPING WITH IT*

You walked up to Levi's bedroom door and gave it a fairly healthy knock.
"Name." Levi demanded, making you chuckle under your breath.
"Y/N." You answered. You heard slight shuffling of papers and heard his feet tap against the floor with every step. He opened the door, allowing you inside.
"You'll never guess what I heard from Eren today." You wasted no time, amused by the topic.
"What's that exactly?" Levi wasn't as enthusiastic as you were in that moment. However, you went on regardless.
"He and all the other soldiers think that we're dating. Can you believe that nonsense?" You laughed, hoping to hear the same sound soon arise from Levi. There was no such sound, only a dead stare of panic and aggravation.
"What?" Levi was clearly unhappy. You ceased your perky tittering.
"It's just a dumb rumor, Levi. Eren even said that he would tell everyone it isn't true, but I told him that people will always think what they want. It's not a big deal. It's just pointless gossip." You attempted to reassure Levi. He was displeased with the bothering discovery.
"That isn't what I'm worried about. We have court hearings back to back this week about the case and we don't need the Military Police or any stuck up diplomats getting the wrong idea and using it to inform Zackley. If that happens, it could screw up the case." Levi angrily mentioned, far more frustrated than he was prior.
"How exactly is this idiotic rumor somehow going to screw up the case?" You asked, in disbelief. Levi inhaled, predicting how your reaction would go once he stated the words he was thinking.
"They may use it to claim that we only accepted you into the Survey Corps because I'm sleeping with you." Levi was disgusted with the idea. It aggravated Levi beyond recovery that anyone would assume he would use his authority to not only use someone for their body, but to encourage favoritism within his own military brigade.
"That still doesn't answer my question, though. That doesn't prove a thing. I clearly show my interest and devotion to being a fellow soldier. Besides, if they truly want to bring these horseshit lies up in court like some group of pathetic teenagers, let them. It makes no difference. You honestly think I would let them get away with saying something like that when I'm meant to speak up on the stand?" You exclaimed to Levi, hoping he wouldn't get too riled up about the unknown possibilities. You were indeed nervous that the Military Police would attempt to pull a stunt like that, but you were still confident in what you say as a simple rebuttal.
"Those morons are hell bent on taking down the Survey Corps. You don't know them like we all do." Levi added, continuing to argue on the subject. You nodded in understanding.
"That may be true, but that still doesn't change a damn thing. We're not going to these court dates to discuss whether or not this person is dating that person. We're there to discuss my old friends' innocence and to further get information that will take down that organization. Stop worrying about it and please don't kill anyone over this stupid rumor." You mentioned, making light of the situation towards the end of your comment. Levi found it within himself to chuckle.
"You're probably right." Levi admitted, running his fingers through his hair, still annoyed.
"No, I am right. One hundred percent right." You joked further.

Two days had passed rather quickly. You, Levi, Hanji, and all the tenured soldiers sat in the courtroom with Zackley present. Military Police soldiers sat in as well to listen in on the details. You would catch some of them glaring at you with challenging smirks from time to time. Though, you ignored them as if they didn't exist. Zackley began the questioning for the case soon after everyone settled into their seats.
"Please tell us in as much detail as possible of the time you spent in the organization you were involved in." Zackley asked you after Marcus gave his testimony. Marcus didn't have much to disclose. You made it aware to the court and to Zackley the weeks prior that you had far better details regarding the organization than Marcus did. They clearly needed Marcus's testimony due to his possible citizenship and freedom on the line. You took a deep breath, knowing that it would be quite a mouthful to disclose such information. You made Levi knowledgeable to the fact that there were things he didn't know about you, yet, you felt as if you should've stated something. It was still too late to turn back as you shifted in your seat.
"I've been involved with this organization ever since I was eleven. Stealing from merchants, heists on the rich, swindling people out of money, occasionally going up to the above ground to do exactly as I just mentioned, as well as several other tasks. The way we got passed the stairway fee in the Underground was simply the knowledge that we were involved in this organization. No one knows the actual name of the organization other than the main higher ups." You cleared your throat briefly before continuing. Everyone in the courtroom had looked on at you while you spoke. The intense silence was incredible to you. You went on.
"Marcus and myself rarely ever saw the higher ups, but I for one have only dealt with one in a reoccurring matter since being in the organization. His name is Xavier Black. He's the leader and creator of the entire organization itself. Don't get me wrong, everything I've mentioned probably seems just short of harmless or a waste of time, but I assure you, it's not. There were plenty of things that went on that weren't under mine or Marcus's power, but things we were willing to do in order to survive." You looked on at Levi as you took another breath. His expression was blank, but you knew that would likely change once he heard your explanations.
"Mostly everyone in the organization didn't want to give us the choice in backing out on certain missions, but Xavier made an exception for myself. I told Xavier I would only continue to work for him if he exempted Marcus from the dangerous and sickening responsibilities as well. I had the capability of going along with the most disgusting of tasks asked of me, but Xavier didn't want me to have that sort of power. He was very intelligent in making that decision. I told him that if he forced Marcus to be in the same boat as myself, that he may as well kill me. I refused to be involved in any part of the organization unless he did that for Marcus." You paused, waiting for Zackley to carry on with another question.
"What did these 'responsibilities' entail, Ms. Y/L/N." Zackley asked of you. You blankly stared at the court audience.
"All of these weren't specifically my orders, but the responsibilities many people have within the organization included murder, rape, kidnapping, forcing children into sex slavery, killing parents, selling Asian children to the highest bidders in sex slavery or just in the trade of money to have a rare human. Many different things." You explained, trying not to gag at the memory.
"How exactly did you become involved with this organization?" Zackley asked, clearly aware that you purposely left such an important part out of your testimony. You hesitated, feeling a wave of sickness hit you. You could feel yourself about to vomit.
"Ms. Y/L/N, need I remind you that you are under oath and are expected to give a full testimony. Details cannot be left out or this case will be concluded if you fail to follow these rules." Zackley warned. You shut your eyes for a second, inhaling immensely.
"Two men came to my home when I was eleven and murdered my parents. My father was a doctor in the Underground and had found a way to make cures for the many diseases people suffered from. The organization didn't like that my father was giving people access to free-will and strength. The two men shot my dad in the head and stabbed him in the chest several times even after he was clearly dead." You shook slightly as you went on. You had to stop yourself briefly before going on. Zackley listened in, giving you time to sort through your thoughts.
"They found me hiding in the closet, so I jabbed one of the mens' eyes out with a pair of dull scissors I found, in attempts to get away. I ran towards the other man, but he shot me in the arm and I fell to the floor." You cleared your throat once more, choking up on your words. The memories washed in like a tidal wave, drowning you without remorse.
"As my punishment for blinding one of the men, I was forced to watch them rape my mother before slitting her throat. After I lost consciousness, I was woken up by a cold splash of water to my face and clothes. The same men that had murdered my parents had informed me that I would be sent to live a long life of prostitution." You cleared your throat nervously, becoming far more uncomfortable with the conversation. However, you pushed through.
"In other words, I would forcefully be subjected into child slavery and be sold off to whatever amounts of disgusting kid fuckers there were involved with the organization. Excuse my language. From eleven, up to the age of fifteen I was offered up as a prize to men ranging in ages from thirty, all the way into their seventies. Typically, the men buying me for their time were from above ground and lived in rich districts, because I don't think I've ever met or seen anyone over the age of fifty still kickin' it in the Underground." Your coping mechanism to the abuse you endured seemed to be minor cases of comedic relief. You hated that you reacted that way at times, but it kept you from going crazy.
  "I was raped, beaten, scarred up and paraded around by all these men as some sort of pet." You tucked your bottom lip under your teeth, nearly breaking the skin as you angrily continued. A large portion of the courtroom was disgusted and alarmed at hearing about your background. Levi was visibly appalled. You averted your eyes from his, unwilling to look him in the eye as you explained the horrifying memories.
"I can't exactly tell you who any of these men were since I was still so young at the time, but it's not like this is of any real importance." As you said those words, Levi then glared at you intensely. You looked away again and continued with your testimony.
"After three and a half years of being nothing more than a cum rag for filthy perverts, Xavier was made aware of my several attempts at killing all these men. Me being as hostile as I was, for good reason, meant more punishment and more customers who had a thing for hostility. Xavier loved to gloat about how he saved me from living the life I could've lived and that he didn't have to choose me as one of his subordinates. He's truly a disgusting man with absolutely no care in the world for a person's humanity. What's worse, is that he looks at a child's innocence as a pair of dice to play around with. As I mentioned, Xavier's the creator of this organization." You paused, Levi still looked agitated with your previous comment that had originally bothered him so brutally. You brushed it off, however.
"Upon first being introduced to the higher up ranks in the organization when I got older, Xavier demanded that I prove myself. That of course involved an initiation. As part of that initiation into the main sub-groups, I had to infiltrate and kill an enemy of the organization who was hell bent on destroying everyone in it." You began to lose interest in the discussion. You had filtered from hesitation and disgust, into boredom over the entire topic. You already knew that the shift in demeanor was also part of your coping mechanisms to protect your mentality.
"The reason Xavier took such a liking to me as time went on, was most likely for his own perverted ideas. I sensed this about him from the beginning. However, he never actually acted on anything. From the age of seventeen, to this last year of me being twenty-six, I was Xavier's left-hand-woman so to speak. From then on, everything carried out as I and Marcus have disclosed prior. Is that detailed enough for you?" You glared at Zackley, annoyed with his pestering questions that you wished would've stayed hidden inside yourself. Though, it was still his job to get as much information as possible.
"No need for the snappiness Ms. Y/L/N. I understand this must've been difficult for you to disclose, but this is the best line of information we have on the organization. Thank you for your time and I'm sorry you had to drudge up those memories." Zackley informed. You nodded, understanding the position you were in. You were at the very least grateful that Zackley seemed to feel bad for making you describe such heinous details.