chapter 2 ➳ Protection

my hand slid on the door knob slowly turning it. Its gold coldness hit my skin. I breath out, turning it slowly.

The door spread open. The smell of sweat and anger hit me.

Frustration.

Rage.

It was a horrible stench.

I walk in avoiding the strange smells. My gaze fell over a family portrait.

My heart beat starts pumping extremely fast.

The quickness making my breathing increase.

Both my mother and fathers face had been scribbled out with a black marker.

My face had a red circle around.

I felt a small sheet of construction paper taped to the back. I pull on it.

"The Legacy" I read slowly.

What was that?

I let the portrait down. I look around seeing a bulletin board. small individual pictures of each of us were set across, red string following to a burning.

I breath out, not understanding.

I pick up a small piece of paper.

A note.

I read it..

" dear Kayla, knowing how nosey you are, I assume you've found this. Please. I'm doing this to protect you from these people. I love you Kayla. I don't have power anymore, as you probably already know. And that's because you are growing stronger. To stop this Mother and Father have to be dead. I'm willing to risk their lives for you. I know it sounds stupid and crazy but I'm not crazy, I just want to protect you from the crazy world of wizardry. Right now, as you read this. The car is slowly burning to pieces. With mom and dad both inside. They deserve this, for putting you through this. I've been planning this for years-- "

I cut off the letter short.

I ran quickly down the house steps.

The unbelievable tears running down my face.

I rip my leather jacket off the coat hanger slipping it on quickly.

My feet collapse with the hard cement ground outside as I made my way to the way my mother and father had gone.

I felt the sudden rush of weariness and sadness hit me when I saw the sparks of flames arise from our Range Rover.

The tears rush down my face, warmness burning up my face.

From the distance I can see my mother and father, they had been able to pull themselves out of the car.

I ran quickly over.

"Mommy!" I exclaim getting on my knees next to both of them.

"K-Kay-La." Her voice was barley audible. She's covered in blood.

I held both their hands, I felt safe. Even if we were in the middle of a huge fire.

The heat hit me.

Conner had put a bomb in the car, causing it to explode.

I didn't care at this point.

"Please don't leave me!" I exclaim placing my head on her stomach.

My hand was placed on my dad's stomach as I sob into my moms.

"Kayla l-look at me." Her voice was soft and soothing.