chapter 18 ➳ Researching Delgado

[a/n] Marathon going on strong! ((: keep commenting and let me know your thoughts please! ❤️

***

"I-I was there when Conner died. I blame myself." The lie felt horrible.

my heart burns.

He was listening.

He was.

Maybe he was still alive.

Impossible. I saw his grave. He's there.

Questions and unknown answers surround my mind.

the gani.

I need to learn more about it.

more about what it can do.

__

a few days later

Wednesday

the loud smacking of big brown old book against the desk causes dust flakes to fill the small library's room.

"Kayla. You aren't going to find anything." Liam's voice was irritating me.

The constant reminder of him telling me this wasn't going to work made me block him out even more.

"You have to understand that my brother could be alive." I mumble searching through the book.

"And you have to understand that he most likely isn't." Liam sits in a chair near the table where I stood. My hands on the table holding my weight.

"Kayla." He whispers slightly pulling on my hand bring me to sit on his lap.

"Yes." I murmur.

"Calm down."

"I can't."

"You can. If I can."

I sigh.

maybe he was right. I'm probably just jumpy.

"How's your mom?" I ask his grip still tight around me.

"She's doing better. I'm sure she'll love a visit from you." He grins up at me.

I wouldn't mind either.

She sounds like a beautiful lady.

I stand up off him feeling a sudden pain in the back of my head.

"Are you okay?" He asks standing up with me.

I shake my head vigorously turning my back on him as well now.

"Ahh" I grip tightly onto the back of my head.

Useless.

"Go away." I whisper.

Honey, you are nothing without me.

"Shut up." I hold my head.

Seriously? Is that all you can say to me. I'm real babe. I'm real. Get that through yourself. I am real.

"No. Shut up." I say slightly louder.

You killed me sweetheart. You are going to pay for what you did. And you have a huge debt.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry." My eyes were shut. I feel the warm tears strolling down my cheeks.

It's a little too late for that don't you think?

I open my eyes the figure appearing in front of me again. Slightly clearer.

Run.