chapter 3 ➳ Change

October 16th

the 3rd day struck me hard, the 5th day I felt like I had lost everything, and now? It felt like my heart was being ripped out by devils themselves.

I had been staring at all three graves in front of me. I didn't even dare bring flowers to Conner. The police knew what he did, they just assume he committed suicide.

I will forever have this on me.

The death of my brother.

I shut my eyes feeling the comfort from..

No one.

I was standing in the grave yard alone just staring down at the buried body's.

"I don't want this to be the last time I see you." I sat In front of my mother and fathers grave shedding tears.

"I promise I'll visit as much as I can." I heard a honk come from the distance.

Mr.Johnson.

Today was my last day in New York.

I was his 'responsibility'. He has to make sure I don't run away to some other state.

I roll my eyes setting the flowers perfectly on the grave. I stand up my hands brushing off the dirt off my black long sleeve shirt and high waisted black jeans.

My hair was let down. I was a new person, maybe I need a new style. I look down at myself.

I need to change.

I can't be this good girl anymore.

I need to be the way Conner was.

Cruel, angry, uncommitted.

It just felt necessary.

I got into the backseat of Mr.Johnson's car.

So far my long sleeved shirt and black jeans was a huge change of style. I was always colorful.

I'm no longer that.

I had done the worst thing ever.

Let my family down.

I look at my backpack laying next to me.

Everything was going to change. I was no longer going to live in a big house with maids and chefs.

It was different now.

You're mature now Kayla.

What you've always wanted just came.

I wrap my leather jacket around myself, entering my mansion one last time.

Mr.Johnson gave me one last chance to look through everything. I walk up the steps of the house walking into the bathroom. I look at myself In the mirror frustration running through me.

The tears pouring from me.

Pressure.

I felt it running through me.

I kick the sink feeling slightly better. I look through the cabinets eagerly.

"Change." I whisper holding up the scissors. I parted my hair and began cutting.

I had cut my hair up to a little over my shoulders. It was still straight, slight curls falling.

I shook my head looking down.

I threw my hair away sliding on the door.

I felt lost, incomplete.

I got up fixing my now short hair. I walk for the last time down the marble gravel engraved steps.