𝔱 𝔴 𝔢 𝔫 𝔱 𝔶 - 𝔱 𝔴 o

Someone knocked at the door, and all I could do was moan from bed in opposition.

I really didn't want to get up. I was too comfy.

After a minute I heard a key turn in the door, and the floorboard creaks as the mystery person closed the door behind them and walked in my direction.

My bedsheets were a mess, and only really covered my leg. Thankfully I wore a one-piece pajama romper that Cadenza had given me as a homecoming gift when I first moved in.

I couldn't see anything through the pillow below my head and one on my head, so I peeked put to see Aaron leaning on the doorframe with a quiet smirk.

He saw me looking and smiled, walking over and plopping himself on the bed beside me.

Aaron watched me blink and my cheeks warmed, making me hide in the pillows.

"Go away," I drawled.

He laughed lightly and after a second of my hiding took the pillow on my head. "That's enough of that," he put it beneath it head and I moaned.

"No," my voice was a long whine.

He laughed and I couldn't help but laugh back.

"How was your class?"

I smiled into the pillowcase. Goddamn this man for making me smile so much.

"It was good, I had fun. Malachi has potential and I'm excited to see what the girls have tonight.

Smiling, Aaron flipped to his back and shut his eyes with his arms comfortably behind his head.

I watched him silently for a minute before making my way to the closet by the door. It was obvious I wasn't leaving because I would instantly burn, so he stayed silent in my bed.

After changing into black pants and a tank top I moved to the kitchen and pulled out a basket of vegetables and a cutting board before Aaron made his way over to ask what I was doing.

"I haven't made a nice meal for myself, or anyone for that matter, in quite a while. So, why not make some hearty soup?" I smirked with a shrug. He smiled back, but stopped me as I turned to grab a bucket for water. Thankfully this house had a ground pump in the back so I didn't need to go to the river and purify it.

"In that case, let me go grab a few things from the castle kitchen, okay?" I was ready to object, but he stopped me quickly. "I'll just be ten minutes."

Finally agreeing, I decided to start a fire in the furnace in the backyard while I waited for him to return.

Another knock sounded at the door not five minutes later and I walked back through the house to welcome him back.

Except it wasn't Aaron, it was Zoey.

"Hi, Aphmau!" She greeted cheerily with a smile so wide it shut her eyes.

I gave a light chuckle. "Hi, Zoey. Come on in."

She did, and I shut the door as she skipped to the kitchen. I filled her in with the cooking situation to which she offered to help.

"It's fine, really. I've made this soup before, it's bland, but it was always better than killing forest animals for food."

"So you're vegan?"

Simply, I shrugged.

"That sucks for you, I guess."

Rolling my eyes, I passed her and hit her elbow jokingly. Next I poured three cups of tea.

When Aaron came back another five or ten minutes later, he found Zoey and I leaning over the kitchen island, giggling about random topics, and drinking lukewarm chamomile tea.

"Hey, Zoey. Joining in the fun?" The blonde elf nodded and he smiled. "Alright, so I got a little butter, milk, chicken stock, and some cheddar cheese," he hesitated. "Please tell me you have potatoes, onion, and garlic?"

Nodding, I lifted a woven basket from below the island. Inside were six golden potatoes, one onion, and a knob of garlic.

He sighed in relief, "Thank god, I didn't want to have to go back and get some."

I smiled and grabbed two knives while Zoey sat in the chair opposite me. Well, us, as Aaron joined me at the long cutting board.

I've almost always known how to chop onions, but Aaron immediately stopped me and said I was doing it wrong.

"No," I denied, and both of my friends laughed. "Hey! This is how I've always done it!"

Still laughing, Aaron took the onion from me. "Then you've always done it wrong. Here," he cut both ends of the onion, more off the growing end and less from the root.

Zoey smirked and giggled at my mistakes and his help throughout our whole process, and I stuck my tongue out at her a few times when I caught it.

Thankfully, I knew how to correctly cut potatoes and had the upper body strength to follow it through.

Aaron made a roux, next. It was a simple combination of flour and butter in a pan over the fire that would thicken the soup. I'd never been able to make one properly in my traveling, camping past, so it explains why the soup never came out how I wanted.

Almost the same moment he came back inside I happened to look up and let the knife slip off the potato, cutting my finger.

I didn't shout and it barely hurt, but stared at the blood for a moment nonetheless.

It began healing and I giggled at the sudden thought that anyone else would have to bandage it and let it heal. "One of the rare occasions I'm happy to be a vampire."

They followed my laugh and I finished the potato after cleaning the surface, knife, potato, and my finger of blood. It wasn't a lot, but I doubt anyone wanted it in their soup.

Hell, not even I did.

The onion and garlic were sautéd over the fire, yet another technique I didn't know, and added the roux to that. Next was the broth, potatoes and milk.

Once the potatoes were soft, we finished the pot with cheese.

When we sat on my couch I found it tasted perfect. It was rich, creamy and holy shit did it have flavor. Now I know what I'd been doing wrong.

Zoey, Aaron and I ate our bowls with conversation and I relished the warmth it bled onto my lap.

Not that I didn't want to stay in bed for three straight days. . .

Who doesn't love a good sleep?

⠎⠓⠕⠥⠇⠙⠓⠁⠧⠑⠺⠁⠇⠅⠑⠙⠁⠺⠁⠽
σи¢є αgαιи иσт ¢σиfι∂єит ωιтн
му ωяιтιиg, вυт тнєяє ωєяє
αℓяєα∂у ѕσмє тнιиgѕ ιи тнιѕ
вσσк ι ∂ι∂ит ℓιкє (ι fєєℓ ℓιкє тσσ
мυ¢н тιмє ιѕ ѕкιρρє∂, вυт ѕтιℓℓ
ℓσνє тнιѕ вσσк.)
мαувє ѕσмє σf му σтнєя вσσкѕ ωιℓℓ
вє вєттєя αи∂ ωσит нανє αѕ мαиу
ѕкιρѕ, αи∂ мαувє ιℓℓ ʝυѕт є∂ιт тнιѕ
σи¢є ιтѕ fυℓℓу ∂σиє.

ωнι¢н ιм нσριиg ωιℓℓ вє ву иєω уєαяѕ.
Word count: 1162