𝔣 𝔬 𝔯 𝔱 𝔶

After all of this constant activity, I needed a break.

Not long term, not because of anyone, but really because I haven't been doing much for myself lately. I just needed an hour of alone time with myself and the book tucked under my arm.

There was an old picnic table just outside the wall, maybe a good thirty-five feet from the wall, and I rested there with pen and paper.

Heart attack, nightingale. . . No new songs in the works guess I really haven't been on my own much. It wasn't uncommon for me to write multiple songs in one sitting or week, but I haven't created anything new as Aaron and I grew closer. He was my distraction, albeit a pleasant one.

There's a tune that has been stuck in my head since dinner with the royal family, a rhythm that I found buried in the song the violinist played. With a little adjustment, it could be something brand new.

Something scurried in the bushes nearby, but I ignored it and instead hummed the tune to myself out loud. Hm, no. Little more belt. . .

"Let it go," I sang quietly to myself, barely above a whisper.

Another rustle in the forest, and this time I looked up with a giggle to find the small creature wanting so much attention. Strangely, there was nothing.

Breathing joined the mix, but not of an animal. Well, at least not a cute one.

I gripped the pen between my thumb and forefinger then spun around, throwing the small metal object through the air like a spear. In the blink of an eye, I stood face to face with an enemy of my childhood, someone I hoped never to see again. My sketchbook fell to the ground, ink splattered loosely over the notes I had just written.

"What the hell are you doing here," I growled.

He simply smiled to show two fangs filed to razor-blade perfection. They were hideous, just like the gray in his hair.

"Is that any way to treat an old friend?" The vampire hybrid complained.

Growling again, I didn't hesitate with my response. I've practiced it a million times in my head, thinking about his expression every time in a different way. I've wished to tell him this since I was five when he took the small bit of innocence I had in my young age. "You are not my friend, and you never were."

His poker face remained unaffected, which I've always known he would seem. There wasn't even a spark of emotion in his eyes.

Funny. He hasn't gotten any better with his sneak attacks, and he's still bad at reading people. He doesn't know that he's predictable.

The black haired hybrid ran at me, aiming for my middle but I didn't move away. I kicked him square in the stomach, and he caught my leg after grunting in pain from the impact.

Throwing me to the side, I expected to find ground beneath me and instead found arms. He didn't come alone. Of course he didn't come alone.

He knows I would kill him if he did.

This vampire was even slower than his hybrid team leader, so I managed to reach behind me and throw the man over my shoulder. His hair was a deep blood-red, but his eyes were violet and magenta. My vision was dark in comparison.

He looked around in a daze on the floor for a minute, surprised by my strength even as a royal. Never underestimate a woman with a vengeance.

Another man ran at me — they clearly couldn't get with a woman, so it makes sense that none would volunteer to work with them — and wander a move for my torso, instead finding my arm. I elbowed him in the throat and felt a sharp injury on my thigh. It was an arrowhead, carved from bone and doused in something I couldn't quite distinguish.

Grunting through the pain, I pushed him off and into a tree. After hearing the satisfying crack of bone, I snapped off the arrow's excess stick and fletching and came back to the hybrid.

He swam in my vision and for a second I thought either he was moving in our vampire speed, or I was but was too enraged to realize.

Nope. He wasn't moving; he was smirking.

The arrow. Poisoned, but with what? My metabolism burns most of it off in seconds.

Regardless of my impaired vision, I managed to make my way to him before a third man tried to grab me. He got a broken jaw in the process.

I refused to speak his name and instead thought of him as the root of all my anger. He really wasn't, especially since I had a panic attack about him not so long ago, but now? I wanted him dead.

Red-hair came after me again, grabbing my arm and attempting to twist it at an odd angle. He managed to immobilize that arm and shoulder, but fortunately for me, I'm flexible.

I whipped my leg around his ankles, flipping him onto his back. Before he even thought of attacking again, he was unconscious and would probably have to deal with a concussion in the morning.

It was the two of us and the man with a broken jaw who was desperately searching the short grass for something. A tooth maybe.

The evil smirk on my childhood antagonist's face disgusted me, so I went about my business to remove it permanently.

Instead, I found myself pinned to the table by the third man who was now beneath the old wood and holding my arms and legs captured.

Guess it wasn't a tooth he was looking for.

Ein pierced a second bone arrow through my stomach, and I felt it split through bone and muscle.

I couldn't breathe.

"You don't know how long I've waited to see. . ."

I couldn't hear him. My ears rang as I choked and gasped for air. There was none left to breathe, at least not in my lungs.

My world shrunk and closed to a pinhole and suddenly the pain was gone. I couldn't feel anything. No more pain, no anger. . . nothing. It was blissful. . .

And incredibly lonely.

I was three days short of living in Falcon Claw with those I loved for six months. I do love them. They'll never know.

I guess it's true what they say.

All good things come to an end.

⠎⠓⠕⠥⠇⠙⠓⠁⠧⠑⠺⠁⠇⠅⠑⠙⠁⠺⠁⠽
єи∂ σf вσσк 1.
тнαик уσυ gυуѕ ѕσ мυ¢н fσя яєα∂ιиg, νσтιиg, ¢σммєитιиg αи∂ ѕнαяιиg. ιт мαкєѕ мє ѕσ нαρρу.
αи∂ fσя тнє яє¢σя∂, ι ʝυѕт ωяσтє тнιѕ ιи тнє ραѕт нσυя вєfσяє иєω уєαяѕ.

нαρρу 2019. нσρє тнιѕ ωαѕ α иι¢є вєgιииιиg.
Word count: 1131