Chapter 6

I had to get the nightshift

I had to get the nightshift. I had talked Johnny into taking the nightshift the last time I had it. But this time I had to take it. No matter how scared I was. I had to be able to talk to Michael before this big event happened. Otherwise someone might get killed.

The Lost Boys made it perfectly clear that we were not wanted here. I knew now why so many owners of the Neverland Ranch had failed in the past. The Lost Boys had scared them all away. To protect Michael.

Had Michael really tried to hurt me? In the mirror? Or was that a Lost Boy trying to make me think that it was Michael? Because before when I was passing out, I heard Michael's voice of concern looming over me.

If he was worried why would he scare me like he had? I get ready for the night. Johnny had texted me to make sure that I was okay with taking the nightshift over. Someone had to be on guard. It was my turn.

I text him back that I was ready. And I would be fine. I place on my work uniform. I pull up my hair. Out of all the ways I had imagined meeting Michael Jackson this was surely not one of those ways. Not by a long shot.

I was not even sure what I was going to do with all these gifts I had. What it all meant. Why I was so different from everyone else. Mom would not talk to me. At least grandma was willing to talk to me. When she was not napping. Or arguing with my grandpa.

"Myla do you have to go into work? Maybe you should stay for dinner. And find a new line of work" my mother says as she sets up the table for a family dinner.

I sigh. "No mom. I am not quitting. I have it all under control" I grumble.

"Myla if you see Michael can you have him sign my poster?" pipes up my little sister.

I groan. "It does not work like that! I am out of here before I am late! Johnny is waiting for me so he can go home" I call out as I grab my purse and slam the door behind me as I leave.

I get to work. The guards allow me into the Neverland Ranch. I get to where Johnny was waiting for me outside of the ranch with the keys to the house. It was a beautiful night. I had downed at least five Mountain Dew's so that way I was able to stay up tonight. I make my way striding toward Johnny. He tosses me the keys when I get closer to him. He was smoking outside here on the grounds. He should not be, but he was.

♡♪♬♪♡

"You know smoking is really bad for you?" I remark.

He raises his eyebrow at me. "You know nagging is bad for you to?" he jokes.

"Shut up Johnny. Get bent" I mutter.

"Hey why did you want the nightshift. I thought you hated ghosties" he jokes.

He stops me from heading in. "I changed my mind. And I have a little mystery on my hands is all" I admit.