Chapter Four

After I talked to Luca, I knocked on Jamie's door and he answering five seconds afterwards. Looking bright and bubbly as ever. "Hey Darren, come in!" he gestured me by opening the door widely for me to enter. Then asked me what I would like to do. Honestly, I was to nervous to do anything since Luca was unpredictable as he could get.

"I don't know what did you have in mind?" I asked, not really wanting to think of anything to do.

"This movie just came out. The Giver, we read it in 8th grade, remember?" Jamie suggested, looking awfully excited about a boring book we read a while back.

"Oh yeah I remember. It was really boring." I mentioned, quickly adding when his smile dropped. "But the trailer looked good. We could go." A place with lots of people, not really something I wanted to do but Jamie wanted to so okay.

"Yes! There is a time at 5. It's 3 so we could get something to eat first. Dad! I'm going out." before his father could respond we were out the door. For having a Marine dad he sure doesn't act like it. As we were walking out the door I saw a familiar car parked across the street. It's Lucas favorite car. I didn't know anyone else who had that car. His car windows were completely black, you can't look inside but you can look out. I had a feeling he was looking right at Jamie and I. I just didn't know how he found me.

Jamie led me to his car. I felt the chills running down my spine when I looked back to see Luca pulling out to follow us, I looked forward and drowned myself in a conversation with Jamie to ignore the obvious feeling of being followed.

We got to the Cheesecake Factory, one of our favorite restaurants and ordered our food and drinks. I sipped on my cold smoothie.

"Do you remember when we met?" Jamie asked. I rolled my eyes.

"Of course I remember. That was way back when I was actually involved in sports and such. You didn't make it on the team because you were a 'fag' so I decided I didn't want to be on the team either." we chuckled at that.

"They never won a trophy again. What a shame. They actually voted you off because you wanted to put me on the team." Jamie said. "Then they lost their captain and star player."

"I was amazing huh?" I smiled at the memory. Poor Jamie used to be a scrawny freshman. We knew each other since middle school but were not as close until I left the soccer team for him. Soccer was everything to me until they discriminated against Jamie. But he was great which is why I was going to put him on the team.

"Darren, the end of the year dance is coming up. Would you like to be my date?" Wow, a little off topic.

"Look Jamie. You're really sweet and all else that's sweeter but you see I'm ah.. I have a boyfriend." I might as well tell him instead of lying. I don't want him to think that anything is wrong with him, nothing is wrong with him. He is such an amazing character. But.. Best friend.

"What! I didn't know! Do your brothers know? I don't think they'd like that you lied to them. Or are you lying to me! Am I not good enough! Do you not like me or is it my face! I knew it.. I just knew it.. You feel bad for me. I thought you liked me. Brian told me you liked me so I just thought.. Since you don't talk to girls-" He talked on and on.

"Jamie my family know I have a boyfriend. They would freak out and I don't want them to freak out. I'm guessing Brian knows, I think he was suspicious. Listen. I like you but as a great, amazing friend and brother. We are so close. I don't want anything to ruin our friendship." 

"But I really like you. I had planned for you to say yes and then we would go watch a movie.. Hold hands-" Jamie looked miserable now.

"Hello my dear Darren." It was that voice that send shivers down my back and I did not want to face the face that followed and matched that voice. The voice that gave me both pleasure and fear.

Luca.